Baylor SB Falls to No. 14 Texas

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Sat May 8 18:39:48 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 8, 2021

SB Falls to No. 14 Texas
Lady Bears host Senior Day on Sunday
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor softball lost a 6-0 contest to No. 14 Texas Saturday afternoon at Getterman Stadium.

After retiring Texas in order in the top of the first, the Baylor defense kept the Longhorns off the board for the first two innings. Hannah Smith made a great play in center field in the top of the second as she fielded the ball off the wall, turned and fired the throw to second to get the runner out trying to get a double.

The Longhorns put up a four-spot in the third, but Aliyah Binford came on to pitch and took control. The second-year freshman gave up two runs, both unearned, off two hits with three strikeouts.

Baylor threatened in the fifth as Taylor Ellis led off the frame with a single to left field. Sydney Collazos, who came in as a pinch hitter, followed with a single to put two runners on with two outs for the Lady Bears, but a groundout ended the inning.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Taylor Ellis now has a hit in nine-straight games. That is a career high for the fifth-year senior.
  *   Sydney Collazos came in as a pinch hitter in the fifth inning and singled up the middle.

STAT OF THE DAY
9 – Straight games Taylor Ellis has recorded a hit.

TOP QUOTES
Baylor head coach Glenn Moore on the game…
“We’re certainly very disappointed, especially on offense. (That’s) two games in a row we’ve been shut out. We’re better offensively than that. We weren’t smart hitters today. We had opportunities to recognize what was being thrown in predictable counts and we were still fooled by it. That’s my biggest disappointment. You can’t do that against a good team.”

UP NEXT
Baylor hosts No. 14 Texas for the regular season finale at 1 p.m. on Sunday. It is also Senior Day for the Lady Bears with eight student-athletes being honored – Gia Rodoni, Hannah Smith, Taylor Ellis, Hannah Thompson, Alyssa Avalos, Nicky Dawson, Goose McGlaun and Maddison Kettler.

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_854672880]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>