Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot Named Big 12 Athlete of the Week

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Wed Mar 31 12:52:34 CDT 2021

Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot Named Big 12 Athlete of the Week
Junior pole vaulter now has eight total conference weekly awards (indoor & outdoor)

WACO, Texas – Coming off a win in his first outdoor meet of the season at the 93rd Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays, KC Lightfoot has earned his first-career Big 12 Outdoor Track & Field Athlete of the Week honor, the conference office announced Wednesday.

“It’s another great honor added to the many others,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “Again, proud of KC and all that he has accomplished this season.”

Lightfoot, who has a Big 12-record seven indoor athlete of the week awards, garnered his first outdoor honor with a world, national and Big 12-leading jump of 19-0.25 (5.80m) to win the pole vault at the Texas Relays. The junior from Lee’s Summit, Mo., became the 14th member of the outdoor 19-foot club and tied the second-best jump in Baylor outdoor history (Bill Payne, 1991). Lightfoot has now won all seven meets in which he has competed this year, including claiming his first national championship at the NCAA Indoor Championships.

“It’s always cool to win the athlete of the week award,” Lightfoot said. “Texas Relays wasn’t my best meet, but I’m still happy to come away with the win and another 5.80m under my belt. I still have a lot to work on, and I am excited for the rest of outdoors.”

Lightfoot and the Bears are set to host the 2021 Baylor Invitational on Saturday at Clyde Hart Track & Field Stadium, the first Baylor home meet since 2019.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

All-Time Baylor Big 12 Outdoor Athletes of the Week
March 31, 2021 – KC Lightfoot, Jr.
April 25, 2018 – Aaliyah Miller, So.
March 29, 2017 – Ryan Womack, So.
March 29, 2017 – Cion Hicks, Sr.
April 13, 2016 – Wil London III, Fr.
April 13, 2016 – Taylor Bennett, Fr.
April 22, 2015 – Bryce Grace, Jr.
April 1, 2015 – Trayvon Bromell, So.
March 25, 2015 – Tiffani McReynolds, Sr.
April 2, 2014 – Trayvon Bromell, Fr.
March 26, 2014 – Trayvon Bromell, Fr.
April 18, 2013 - Skylar White, Sr.
April 10, 2013 – Felix Obi, Fr.
April 18, 2012 – Skylar White, Jr.
March 28, 2012 – Tiffani McReynolds, So.
April 12, 2011 - Tiffani McReynolds, Fr.
April 21, 2009 – Trey Harts, Jr.
April 21, 2009 - Erin Bedell, Jr.
March 31, 2009 – Chris Gowell, Jr.
April 26, 2005 – Darold Williamson, Sr.
April 19, 2004 – Darold Williamson, Jr.
April 19, 2004 - April Holiness, Jr.
April 12, 2004 – Jeremy Wariner, So.
March 22, 2004 - Lakadron Ivery, Jr.
April 14, 2003 – Jeremy Wariner, Fr.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>