UPDATED: No. 10 Baylor EQ Comes Up Empty in Upset Bid Against No. 3 OSU

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 26 23:22:24 CDT 2021

This story has been updated to reflect that no Most Outstanding Performances (MOP’s) were awarded on Day 1 of the Big 12 Championship.

No. 10 EQ Comes Up Empty in Upset Bid Against No. 3 OSU
Bears fall 12-8 in Big 12 Championship semifinals, will face No. 5 Fresno State in Saturday’s consolation

WACO, Texas – Fourth-seeded Baylor equestrian dropped its Big 12 Championship semifinal contest to top-seeded Oklahoma State Friday, 12-8 at the Willis Family Equestrian Center in Waco.

BU (1-7) entered the meet in search of its second win of the season, hoping to avenge two earlier regular-season losses to the Cowgirls (5-1). However, the Bears were unable to take advantage of a strong first half and OSU ultimately pulled away late.

Starting off the day in Fences, Caroline Fuller scored the first point of the meet for Baylor with an 81-79 head-to-head victory. However, BU only mustered one other point via Savannah Hemby’s 157, as OSU took the event 3-2.

The Bears bounced back in Reining as Isabella Jacuzzi led the team with a score of 145. Madaline Callaway and Maggie Cincotta also picked up points for BU, leading Baylor to a 3-2 event win and tying the score at 5-5 at the midway point.

As Horsemanship kicked off the day’s second half, Baylor fell behind after the Western event with the Cowgirls nabbing a 4-1 victory. Gabrielle Marty tallied BU’s only point, scoring a 140.5.

On the Jumping Seat side, Flat rounded out the semifinal action as BU’s Rachael Davis tallied an event-best 163 total. Fuller also picked up another BU point, but once again OSU edged Baylor 3-2 to prevent a late rally by the Bears.

Baylor will round out its Big 12 Championship with an appearance in the consolation meet against No. 2-seed Fresno State, beginning at 9:30 a.m. CT in Waco.

NOTABLES
• Baylor is now 1-7 against ranked opponents this season.
• BU improved to 2-3-3 this season in the Reining, taking a 3-2 decision in today’s meet.
• Rachael Davis remained undefeated, tallying her eighth win of the season in the Flat.
• Savannah Hemby improved to 6-1 on the 2021 campaign with a win in Fences.

STAT OF THE MEET
8 – Rachael Davis picked up her eighth win of the season in the Flat, remaining undefeated on the year.

TOP QUOTE
Head coach Casie Maxwell…
On today’s meet…
“We are very proud of how our team competed today. It was a very tough loss, but they rode incredibly strong and confident and left it all in the arena. We could not have asked for anything more from them.”

On the Big 12 Championship…
“I thought the entire team did an outstanding job hosting today. We are so grateful for their leadership and hard work in putting on this Championship, and we are excited to do it all again tomorrow.”

WHAT'S NEXT
No. 10-ranked Baylor competes against No. 5 Fresno State in the Big 12 Championship consolation meet, beginning at 9:30 a.m. CT at the Willis Family Equestrian Center in Waco.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on Facebook (Baylor Equestrian), Twitter (@BaylorEQ) and Instagram (@BaylorEquestrian).

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)