Baylor Baseball: Dominance Continues as BSB Sweeps and Shuts Out Xavier, 10-0

Rhodes, Zach Zach_Rhodes at baylor.edu
Sun Mar 14 16:56:25 CDT 2021

Dominance Continues as BSB Sweeps and Shuts Out Xavier, 10-0
The Bears only allowed two hits in the shutout
Media Link: https://baylorbea.rs/37RVUDI
For more information contact: Zach Rhodes, 919-247-7585, Zach_Rhodes at baylor.edu

WACO, Texas – The Baylor baseball team extended its win streak to eight games and completed the sweep after shutting out Xavier, 10-0, on Sunday at Baylor Ballpark. The Bears (10-4) swept their second-consecutive weekend series with today’s victory over the Musketeers (3-7).

The Bears started off strong, taking an early 2-0 lead in the first inning after second-year freshman Tre Richardson used an RBI-groundout to score one and newcomer Antonio Valdez slapped an RBI-single through the right side.

Later in the fourth, fourth-year junior Davion Downey crushed his first home run of the season to right field for a two-run shot which doubled the Baylor lead to 4-0. In the sixth, fifth-year senior Andy Thomas hit a solo homer to right, stretching the BU advantage to 5-0. Downey followed with a sacrifice fly to score Valdez who doubled earlier in the frame.

In the seventh, second baseman Jack Pineda had an RBI single to score second-year freshman Jared McKenzie to push the lead to 7-0. The Bears put the game away in the eighth after true freshman Cam Caley smashed his first-career home run, a three-run shot, to make it 10-0.

Fifth-year senior Hayden Kettler (1-0) was near-perfect on the mound after only allowing two hits, no walks, while striking out seven in a career-tying seven innings of scoreless baseball. Baylor relievers Logan Freeman and Jacob Askinos closed out the game to keep it a two-hit shutout. Xavier’s Ethan Bosacker (1-1) was tabbed with the loss.

NOTES
• Baylor is 8-0 in 2021 at Baylor Ballpark.
• BU tied its longest win streak since opening the 2019 season 8-0 (Feb. 15-26).
• During the eight-game streak, BU is outscoring its opponents, 74-22.
• The shutout was the third of the season for the Bears.
• Kettler tied his career-long after throwing seven innings for the fifth time in his career.
• In his first start as a position player, Caley smacked his first career home run.
• Downey hit his first home run of the season and 11th of his career.
• Thomas hit his third homer of the year and 11th of his career.
• McKenzie and Valdez finished with three hits apiece. The three base knocks for Valdez is a career high.

QUOTE FROM COACH ROD
“It’s really hard to sweep somebody, but tip of the hat to Xavier, they’ve had some COVID issues and they rolled out some really good pitchers again. I was just really happy with how our guys went about our business and continued to execute a lot better. We’re really happy with what we’re seeing. Pitching was really good today –– being able to manipulate the ball, going in and out with fastballs and being able to get the breaking balls with chase pitches. I was really happy with the overall performance from the defensive standpoint, the pitching, and offensively. We did a really good job today.”

WHAT’S NEXT
The Bears continue their homestand this week when they take on UTSA on Tuesday, March 16 at 6:30 p.m. at Baylor Ballpark.
To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on Facebook (Baylor Baseball), Twitter (@BaylorBaseball) and Instagram (@BaylorBaseball).

-BaylorBears.com-

Zach Rhodes | Associate Director of Athletics Communications
C: 919-247-7585 | O: 254-710-3784