No. 9 Baylor EQ Suffers 11-8 Loss in Regular Season Finale

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sun Mar 14 15:37:32 CDT 2021

No. 9 EQ Suffers 11-8 Loss in Regular Season Finale
Bears unable to overcome early deficit on Senior Day, fall to third-ranked OSU

WACO, Texas – No. 9 Baylor equestrian suffered an 11-8 loss in its regular-season finale to No. 3 Oklahoma State Sunday at the Willis Family Equestrian Center in Waco.

Despite their highest-scoring Fences event of the season, BU (1-6, 1-5) dropped a tight 3-2 decision to begin the day. Gia Gulino scored a season-best 87 on Grande to win her point and Savannah Hemby gathered her fourth Fences win of the year with an 86 on Petey. Four of the Bears’ five scores in the event were at or above 86.

Meanwhile in the Western arena, the Cowgirls topped the Bears 3-1 in Reining to take a 6-3 lead into halftime. Daisy Kaufman earned the point for Baylor, scoring a 70.5 on Callie.

For the second meet in a row, BU rallied behind a strong performance in the Flat, winning 3-2. Once again, Gulino put down the strongest ride for the Bears with an 82, though she was edged by OSU’s Abigail Brayman who tallied an 84 and won the MOP honors. Rachael Davis, Caroline Fuller and Maddie Vorhies were the point-winners for Baylor, bringing the meet total to 8-6 with just one event to go.

Heading into Horsemanship, Baylor was unable to edge out three Cowgirls who score above a 75.5. Clara Johnson and Marley Mainwaring each posted season-highs of 76 on Gracie and Vegas, respectively.

Next, the Bears will compete in the Big 12 Championship in Waco beginning on Friday, March 26 at the Willis Family Equestrian Center.

NOTABLES
• Baylor is now 1-6 against ranked opponents this season.
• BU earned its fourth Flat win of the season, taking it in a 3-2 decision.
• Gia Gulino posted a season-high 87 in Fences.
• Rachael Davis finished the regular season undefeated in Flat with a 7-0 mark.
• Clara Johnson and Marley Mainwaring each tallied season-high scores of 76 in Horsemanship.

STAT OF THE MEET
86 – Four of Baylor’s five Fences riders scored at or above 86 in the event.

TOP QUOTE
Head coach Casie Maxwell…
On today’s meet and heading into the Big 12 Championship…
“I told the team when we were done that they definitely fought hard for every point. We’ve got to be able to ride as hard as we did today, but take the error out of it to beat a team like Oklahoma State, or anybody that we’re going to go up against for the rest of the year. Everything is still up for grabs, the Big 12 Championship and qualifying for nationals. I think it’s really important for us to clear our heads, we have a lot of opportunity right here in front of us.”

On this year’s senior class…
“It’s a really special group. This is the first group that I’m graduating out, that I’ve been with for all four years. They’ve left a huge impression on this team and they’ve been through a lot. They’ve proved to be a resilient group full of good leaders for this team.”

Senior Gia Gulino
On the emotions of Senior Day…
“I’ve set up Senior Day every single year since I was a freshman, so walking in and seeing how the girls had decorated the locker room and done the flowers and gifts, it just made me feel really appreciated. Then you walk in the ring and everybody laid down such amazing trips, I think everybody went out there and went all out. Honestly, it was just amazing to see everybody so happy with how they performed.”

Senior Clara Johnson
On what her time at Baylor has meant to her…
“A big memory is my sophomore year when we won Big 12’s. What that senior class did for us as underclassmen, we’ve tried to fill those shoes and be seniors who the underclassmen now look up to. We just hope to have the same impact that the seniors before us had.”

WHAT'S NEXT
No. 9 Baylor hosts the Big 12 Championship at the Willis Family Equestrian Center on Friday, March 26 and Saturday, March 27 in Waco.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on Facebook (Baylor Equestrian), Twitter (@BaylorEQ) and Instagram (@BaylorEquestrian).

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)