No. 9 Baylor EQ Comes Up Short at TCU, 12-7

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Thu Mar 11 19:17:05 CST 2021

No. 9 EQ Comes Up Short at TCU, 12-7
Bears will look to snap three-meet skid Saturday at No. 4 SMU

FORT WORTH, Texas – No. 9 Baylor equestrian dropped a 12-7 contest to No. 7 TCU in Fort Worth on Thursday, marking the Bears’ third-straight loss.

BU (1-4, 1-3) came up short with 3-2 defeats in Fences and Reining, tied in Flat at 2-2, and took a 4-1 loss in Horsemanship. The Horned Frogs (4-4, 2-2) got revenge over Baylor from earlier this season, when the Bears topped TCU 10-9 in Waco.

After the first half, Baylor narrowly trailed 6-4, earning two points apiece in Fences and Reining by Madaline Callaway, Caroline Fuller, Savannah Hemby and Daisy Kaufman. Then, the Bears held close through the third event, tying the Horned Frogs in the Flat with tallies from Rachael Davis and Gia Gulino.

Needing to erase a two-point deficit, BU was unable to gain ground in Horsemanship, mustering up just one point by Kacie Scharf. Three of Baylor’s four losses in the event were within a two-point margin.

The Bears will look to snap their three-meet skid when they return to the DFW metroplex on Saturday to take on No. 4 SMU in Dallas.

NOTABLES

• BU is now 1-4 against ranked opponents this season.
• Baylor picked up a 2-2 tie in Flat.

• Caroline Fuller put down a season-high score of 86.5 for the Bears in Fences.
• Rachael Davis remained undefeated in Flat this season, improving to 5-0.
• Madaline Callaway earned her team-leading fourth victory of the year in Reining.

STAT OF THE MEET

86.5 – Caroline Fuller’s score of 86.5 in Fences is a season-high for Baylor.

TOP QUOTE

Head coach Casie Maxwell

On today's meet…

“Today was a hard loss for our team. We had some very strong rides and made some good decisions, but we also made too many mistakes in some other rides that cost us. At the end of the day, we just can’t afford to make those types of errors against a team like TCU.”

WHAT'S NEXT

No. 9 Baylor takes on No. 4 SMU in Dallas on Saturday, March 13, at 10 a.m. CT.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on Facebook (Baylor Equestrian), Twitter (@BaylorEQ) and Instagram (@BaylorEquestrian).

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)