No. 7 Baylor EQ Falls 14-6 at No. 6 Oklahoma State

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Mar 6 16:44:16 CST 2021

No. 7 EQ Falls 14-6 at No. 6 Oklahoma State
Bears come up short in first action after 28-day pause

STILLWATER, Okla. – After a 28-day pause due to inclement weather and Big 12 interruption guidelines, No. 7 Baylor equestrian returned to action on Saturday at No. 6 Oklahoma State, but came up short 14-6.

The Bears (1-2, 1-1) couldn’t overcome the Cowgirls’ hot start (1-1, 1-1), falling behind 8-2 at the halfway point before mustering up four points in the afternoon events.

OSU jumped out to a large lead with 4-1 wins in both Horsemanship and Fences. Marley Mainwaring and Savannah Hemby were the point winners for BU with scores of 72.5 and 72, respectively.

In the second half, Baylor collected a 3-2 win in Reining behind points from Bella Jacuzzi, Daisy Kaufman and Andie Pratt. Kaufman was named the MOP for her 73.5 score on Boss. All three point-winning reiners for the Bears gathered their first-career tallies.

However, the Cowgirls responded with another 4-1 event win, taking Flat and holding the Bears to just one point scored by Rachael Davis.

NOTABLES
• BU is now 1-2 against ranked opponents this season.
• Baylor claimed the Reining event with a 3-2 win.
• In her collegiate debut, Daisy Kaufman earned MOP honors with a 73.5 on Boss in Reining.
• Bella Jacuzzi also made her collegiate debut with a 71.5 in Reining, winning her first-career point.
• Andie Pratt gathered her first-career point with a 68 on Hannah in Reining.
• Katie Davis tallied the highest score of the day for the Bears on the Western side, recording a 74 on Chex in Horsemanship, though she was edged by OSU’s Natalie Vargo by just half a point.
• In Jumping Seat, Gia Gulino recorded a team-leading 82 in Fences on Copa, though she competed against the highest score of the day – an 85 by OSU’s Abigail Brayman.

STAT OF THE MEET
28 – The Bears returned to action after a 28-day pause due to inclement weather conditions and Big 12 interruption guidelines.

TOP QUOTE
Head coach Casie Maxwell…
On today’s meet…
“It felt really good to finally be back out competing today. We had some new athletes in the arena for the first time that really rose to the occasion and put some solid points on the board.  We did make some mistakes today that cost us, and we just can’t afford those errors when going up against a team of OSU’s caliber. We know what we need to clean up and execute better for tomorrow. Overall, it’s been very rewarding to watch this team adapt as we navigate this season.”

WHAT'S NEXT
No. 7 Baylor will take on No. 5 Fresno State tomorrow, Sunday, March 7, in a neutral-site Big 12 matchup, hosted by TCU. The Bears are currently 13-4 all-time against the Bulldogs. First ride is set for 9 a.m. CT.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on Facebook (Baylor Equestrian), Twitter (@BaylorEQ) and Instagram (@BaylorEquestrian).

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)