No. 6 Baylor Men's Tennis Falls Short Against No. 3 TCU

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sun Jan 31 20:22:57 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – January 31, 2021

No. 6 MT Falls Short Against No. 3 TCU
Bears drop a tight 4-1 contest against the Horned Frogs

WACO, Texas. – No. 6 Baylor men’s tennis (6-1) dropped a tight 4-1 battle to No. 3 TCU (4-0) Sunday evening at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center.

The Horned Frogs rallied back after losing the doubles point to win the match with four singles victories.

To start things out, BU took two of three doubles matches and secured the first point. Charlie Broom/Matias Soto remained undefeated as a team, besting Juan Martin/Tadeas Paroulek 6-1 on court three, but No. 10-ranked Sven Lah/Constantin Frantzen dropped their match 6-2 to Luc Fomba/Alastair Gray.

Needing a victory, Adrian Boitan/Nick Stachowiak would clinch it for the Bears, winning 6-4 in a tight matchup against Sander Jong/Bertus Kruger.

As singles began, BU hung around as long as it could, sending four matches to third sets. No. 21 Gray defeated No. 56 Soto 6-0, 6-4 on court two and No. 47 Fomba topped No. 46 Boitan in the top spot 7-5, 6-3, to give the Horned Frogs a 2-1 match lead.

No. 43 Lah and No. 74 Stachowiak battled back from first-set losses to bring their duals to a third set, while No. 103 Broom and Spencer Furman dropped their second sets before decisive thirds.

It was Paroulek who got the best of Broom in No. 5 singles, coming from behind to win 2-6, 6-2, 6-4 for the Horned Frogs. Then, No. 113 Jong clinched it with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 victory over Lah to end the match.

NOTABLES
• Baylor’s 30-match home win streak was snapped.
• The Bears are a combined 30-5 in singles play and 16-4 in doubles this season.
• Baylor is 6-1 in the doubles point this season.
• BU is now 5-1 in matches when winning the doubles point.
• Charlie Broom/Matias Soto improved to 5-0 in spring doubles action.

STAT OF THE MATCH
5 – Charlie Broom/Matias Soto collected their fifth win of the spring as a doubles pairing.

TOP QUOTES
Interim head coach Michael Woodson
On today’s match…
“Credit goes to TCU, I thought they fought really hard and played confidently at every single spot. Our guys did a nice job of getting a tough doubles point and got up on a few singles courts, but couldn’t sustain it throughout the match. This is why we play top teams. These matches are coin flips at the end of the day, but credit to TCU. They earned this one.”

On his team moving forward…
“There are a lot of positives to take from this and I think we’ll be better as a result. I think we have a really good team and I think we’ll have a chance when it really matters, but we saw some things that we need to work on. It’s going to sting, as it should, but ultimately this is why we’re playing such a tough schedule. We’ll get better from this.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor is scheduled to play a doubleheader on Saturday, Feb. 6, against UT Tyler and Oklahoma at Noon and 6 p.m. CT at Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center.

For the latest news on the Baylor men’s tennis team all season long, follow their official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorMTennis.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)