Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot Breaks Own Collegiate Record

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Sat Jan 30 19:12:07 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Jan. 30, 2021

Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot Breaks Own Collegiate Record
Lightfoot’s jump of 19-6.25 (5.95m) is tied for No. 1 in the world with Renaud Lavillenie from France.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

*COMPLETE RESULTS ATTACHED*

LUBBOCK, Texas – For the second time in three weeks, KC Lightfoot set the indoor collegiate record in the pole vault Saturday to highlight Baylor track & field’s final day at the Texas Tech Invitational & Multis at the Sports Performance Center.

“It was another good meet,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “We got some things accomplished. Our goal was to try to become a better team on both sides, and we did that. There were a couple mishaps here and there, but overall it was a good meet.”

With the field whittled down to four competitors, Lightfoot entered at 17-8.5 (5.40m) and cleared four consecutive bars to clinch the victory at 19-2.25 (5.85m). The junior from Lee’s Summit, Mo., didn’t stop there. On his second attempt at 19-6.25 (5.95m), Lightfoot soared over the bar to break his own collegiate record set just two weeks ago in the same building. Lightfoot fought back to a tie for No. 1 in the world (Renaud Lavillenie from France jumped 5.95 on Friday), and remains atop the NCAA and Big 12. With his latest jump, Lightfoot now owns the top 11 jumps in Baylor indoor history.

“It’s been a good start,” Lightfoot said. “It felt pretty good on the runway today despite some concerns coming into the meet. Things lined up on 95, and I kept it up there. Unfortunately, the 6-meter bar wasn’t it today, but I know it’s coming sooner rather than later. I’m excited for a week off next week to get some good training in before rolling back into Tech in a couple weeks.”

“KC, obviously, a huge jump for him today,” Harbour said. “Another collegiate record, not much more you can say about that. It’s hard to find words for all of the great things he’s done.”

Lily Williams recorded her second victory of the season, clocking in at 1:22.84 to win the women’s 600 yards. The freshman from Centennial, Colo., stands at No. 5 in the Big 12.

In the men’s 600 yards, Chris DuPree finished as the runner-up with a time of 1:10.06 to move to No. 3 in the Big 12.

“I thought the 600s were big,” Harbour said. “That was a huge time for Chris, for a freshman to run that fast. Lily got another win, and wins are hard to pick up at this level. For two freshmen to do what they did in the 600, I thought those were big.”

The women’s 4x400-meter relay team of Arria Minor, Sydney Washington, Aaliyah Miller and Lily Williams placed second with a season-best time of 3:35.79, and the men’s 4x4 of Matthew Moorer, Hasani Barr, Jayson Baldridge and Howard Fields III took third at 3:09.77. Both teams remain atop the Big 12 rankings.

“The 4x4s were both solid, both the men and women,” Harbour said. “When you combine the two days together, it was a really good weekend.”

Caira Pettway finished fourth in the women’s long jump with a mark of 18-10.5 (5.75m), Cole Hardan recorded a shot put of 54-4 (16.56m) to place fifth, Kamden Jackson took fifth in the men’s 200 meters with a time of 21.25, Sydney Washington placed fifth in the women’s 200 meters with a time of 23.93, Mikayla Deshazer finished fifth in the women’s shot put with a mark of 45-8 (13.92m), and Alyssa Miller (5-7.25, 1.71m) took fourth in the women’s high jump.

Baylor now has its first weekend off of the indoor season before making its third trip to Lubbock for the Texas Tech Shootout on Feb. 12-13. The Bears will also send a portion of the roster to the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 13.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>