Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot Named USTFCCCA National Athlete of the Week

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Tue Jan 19 17:55:20 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Jan. 19, 2021

Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot Named USTFCCCA National Athlete of the Week
Lightfoot cleared a world-leading 19-5.75 (5.94m) to set the indoor collegiate record in the pole vault.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – After his collegiate record-breaking performance in Lubbock, KC Lightfoot was announced Tuesday as National Athlete of the Week by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA).

“They are both very well-deserved honors for a super young man,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “We’re excited to see what he’s been able to do in his time here. He’s had great support behind him. I know he’s thankful for Coach Brandon Richards and the way they’ve been able to work together. It’s been very nice to watch what they’ve been able to accomplish. We know that he’s still got some more in him, and that’s pretty impressive. We’re excited for him. The sky is the limit.”

Lightfoot cleared a world-leading 19-5.75 (5.94m) on his first attempt to break Chris Nilsen's indoor collegiate record in the pole vault (5.93), set last season at Nebraska. Lightfoot entered at 17-10.25 (5.44m) and cleared each of the next four bars on his first attempt en route to the record. The junior from Lee's Summit, Mo., increased his own school-record mark by 4.25 inches and now owns the top nine marks on Baylor's all-time indoor performances list.

“It means a lot knowing that all of my hard work throughout the pandemic is finally getting time to show through,” Lightfoot said. “National athlete of the week is a big accomplishment. I’m excited that the season started off well, and hopefully I will clear a 6-meter bar sooner rather than later.”

This is the second time that Lightfoot has been named National Athlete of the Week during the indoor season, and he remains the only athlete from Baylor (men's or women's) to earn the award during the indoor season. Lightfoot’s previous honor came on Feb. 18, 2020, following the Iowa State Classic.

In addition to holding the No. 1 spot in the world in 2021, Lightfoot is ranked No. 1 in both the NCAA and the Big 12 Conference.

National Athlete of the Week is an award selected and presented by the USTFCCCA Communications Staff at the beginning of each week to eight collegiate indoor track & field athletes, when applicable (male and female for each of the three NCAA divisions and the NJCAA).

Nominations are open to the public. Coaches and sports information directors are encouraged to nominate their student-athletes; as are student-athletes, their families and friends, and fans of their programs. Nominated athletes are noticed before those athletes found through searching TFRRS.

The award seeks to highlight not only the very best times, marks and scores on a week-to-week basis, but also performances that were significant on the national landscape and/or the latest in a series of strong outings. Quality of competition, suspenseful finishes and other factors will also play a role in the decision.

Lightfoot and the Bears return to action Saturday at the Aggie Invitational in College Station, Texas.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>