No. 21 Baylor SB Splits Day One of Lone Star State Invitational

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Fri Feb 26 22:11:26 CST 2021

Baylor Softball Box link: http://baylorbea.rs/BaylorSoftball

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 26, 2021

No. 21 SB Splits Day One of Lone Star State Invitational
Lady Bears top UConn, fall to Ole Miss
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – No. 21 Baylor softball opened the Lone Star State Invitational going 1-1 on Friday. The Lady Bears started things off with a 5-0 win over UConn before dropping a hard-fought 10-4 contest to Ole Miss.

GAME 1 – BAYLOR 5, UCONN 0
Nicky Dawson got things started for the Lady Bears as she battled through a 10-pitch at-bat before hitting a single up the middle. The speedy center fielder advanced to third base off back-to-back wild pitches and then came home off an RBI single by Aliyah Binford.

Baylor added to its lead in the third inning when Josie Bower delivered once again. For the third-straight game, Bower hit a double, the 11th of her career, and scored Lou Gilbert and Binford.

The Lady Bears kept the party going in the fourth inning as Nicky Dawson roped a triple into deep center field and scored Emily Hott from first. It marked Dawson’s eighth career triple, making her one shy of tying for the program record.

Sidney Holman-Mansell got the start for the Lady Bears and held the Huskies scoreless off one hit with six strikeouts through five innings of work. Maren Judisch came on in relief and showed off her offspeed work in the seventh inning with three-straight swinging strikeouts to end the game.

GAME 2 – OLE MISS 10, BAYLOR 4

Down 3-0 heading into the bottom of the fourth, the Lady Bears went to work. Dawson and Binford got on with singles and moved into scoring position thanks to a wild pitch. With two runners on and two outs, Ole Miss decided to intentionally walk Bower. That brought up Ana Watson who singled through the right side to score two.

The Lady Bears weren’t done. Zadie LaValley battled through a deep pitch count before drawing a walk to put two runners on for pinch hitter Hannah Thompson who delivered a single through the left side to score two more runs and give Baylor the lead.

Ole Miss came back in the top of the sixth to retake the lead before adding on a few more runs in the seventh.

Gia Rodoni went 4.1 innings and gave up three runs off five hits before Binford entered and took the loss, giving up two runs off one hits in 1.2 innings.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Nicky Dawson now has eight career triples, one shy of tying for the program high alongside Kim Wilmoth (2002-05), Carrie Leerberg (2002-05), Harmony Schwethelm (2003-06) and Kyla Walker (2016-20).
  *   Dawson went 2-for-4 at the plate vs. UConn which marked her 27th career multi-hit game.
  *   Josie Bower recorded a double in three-straight games. She now has 11 doubles in her career.
  *   Sidney Holman-Mansell struck out a third of the batters she faced against the Huskies (six strikeouts, 18 batters faced).
  *   Lou Gilbert started the day 2-for-2 vs. UConn, her 15th career multi-hit game.
  *   Hannah Thompson delivered as the pinch hitter for the second time this season with her two-RBI single in the fourth inning. She finished the night 2-for-3 at the plate.

STAT OF THE GAME
8 – career triples for Nicky Dawson, putting her one shy of the program record

TOP QUOTES
Baylor head coach Glenn Moore on the day…
“We’re not a young team. We as a coaching staff challenged them with bouncing back after the last game today. The comeback in the fourth inning against Ole Miss showed we have the fight and we take a lot of pride playing at our home field. We played a team that brought it and kept bringing it throughout the game. The beauty of this game is that throughout the season you have an opportunity for redemption. We have an opportunity to turn it around in less than 24 hours.”

UP NEXT
The Lady Bears return to Getterman Stadium for Day 2 of the Lone Star State Invitational. Baylor is set to face Lamar at 2:30 p.m. and UConn at 5 p.m. Both games will be on 101.3 FM as well as Big 12 Now on ESPN+.

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_1789068178]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>