Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot, Miller Sweep Big 12 Weekly Awards

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Wed Feb 17 15:35:25 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – February 17, 2021

Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot, Miller Sweep Big 12 Weekly Awards
This is the second time this season that both have obtained the honor in the same week.

WACO, Texas – Following a pair of record-setting performances in Lubbock and Ames, respectively, KC Lightfoot and Aaliyah Miller have swept the Big 12 Indoor Track & Field Athlete of the Week awards, the conference office announced Wednesday.

“Another great honor for both KC and Aaliyah,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “They keep coming in. I’m proud of both of them. It was a great weekend for KC. I hated to miss it being up at Iowa State with that group. I got to see Aaliyah’s race, and she ran a really, really nice race. I was very proud of her. It was a great weekend for both of them.”

Lightfoot became the first collegian in indoor history to clear six meters in the pole vault, setting a new collegiate record for the third time with a mark of 19-8.25 (6.00m) at the Texas Tech Shootout. The junior from Lee’s Summit, Mo., entered at 17-9.25 (5.42m) and cleared six bars on the day, culminating with the coveted six-meter bar. Lightfoot’s mark is currently No. 1 in the Big 12 and NCAA and No. 3 in the world. This is the seventh weekly accolade of Lightfoot's career (Feb. 3, 2021; Jan. 20, 2021; Feb. 19, 2020; Jan. 29, 2020; Jan. 22, 2020; Feb. 20, 2019), giving him a two-award lead for the most ever in a Big 12 indoor career.

“Always cool to win Big 12 athlete of the week, and finally jumping 6 meters with it is a dream come true,” Lightfoot said. “I knew it was coming soon, but the stars aligned and it finally stayed up there. I know there’s still plenty to work on, and I can’t wait for Big 12s back in Lubbock.”

Miller broke her own school record in the 800 meters, cruising to victory at the Iowa State Classic with a personal-best time of 2:02.35. The senior from McKinney, Texas, took over the No. 2 spot in the NCAA, obtained the Olympic qualifying standard, and holds a three-second lead in the Big 12 in the 800. She is currently No. 19 in the world in the 800, and also holds the top spot in the Big 12 in the 1,000 meters and is No. 2 in the conference in the 600 yards. This is the third award of Miller’s career, adding to her honors on Feb. 3, 2021 and Jan. 24, 2017.

“I’m honored to be chosen and to be recognized for the work I’ve been putting in,” Miller said. “It’s such a blessing to even be able to compete and remain healthy during these times. It’s a constant reminder for us to be grateful for what we have and take full advantage of every opportunity given to us. It’s exciting to be nearing championship season and have the chance to race and drop some fast times with my teammates.”

Miller and Lightfoot are the only multiple winners of the Big 12 weekly award in Baylor indoor history. This is the second time this season that both have obtained the honor in the same week, making it three times in school history that two Bears have earned athlete of the week honors in the same week (Quentin Iglehart-Summers/Lauren Hagans - Jan. 15, 2008). Baylor now has 24 combined men's and women's indoor track & field athlete of the week awards in program history and 49 overall conference athlete of the week honors since 2002.

Next up for Miller, Lightfoot and Baylor will be the Big 12 Indoor Championship Feb. 26-27 at the Sports Performance Center in Lubbock, Texas.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

All-Time Baylor Big 12 Indoor Athletes of the Week
Feb. 17, 2021 – Aaliyah Miller, Sr.
Feb. 17, 2021 – KC Lightfoot, Jr.
Feb. 3, 2021 – Aaliyah Miller, Sr.
Feb. 3, 2021 – KC Lightfoot, Jr.
Jan. 20, 2021 – KC Lightfoot, Jr.
Feb. 19, 2020 – KC Lightfoot, So.
Jan. 29, 2020 – KC Lightfoot, So.
Jan. 22, 2020 – KC Lightfoot, So.
Feb. 20, 2019 – KC Lightfoot, Fr.
Jan. 20, 2019 – Wil London, Sr.
Feb. 21, 2018 – Maxwell Willis, So.
Jan. 24, 2017 - Aaliyah Miller, Fr.
Jan. 27, 2016 – George Caddick, Jr.
Feb. 25, 2015 – Distance Medley Relay Team (Mariah Kelly, Kiana Hawn, Olicia Williams, Maggie Montoya)
Jan. 29, 2014 – Felix Obi, So.
Jan. 29, 2013 – Tiffani McReynolds, Jr.
Jan. 18, 2011 – Skylar White, So.
Jan. 27, 2009 – Tiffany Townsend, So.
Jan. 15, 2008 – Quentin Iglehart-Summers, Jr.
Jan. 15, 2008 – Lauren Hagans, Sr.
Jan. 16, 2007 – Reggie Witherspoon, Sr.
Jan. 24, 2006 – Jacob Norman, Fr.
Feb. 16, 2004 – Darold Williamson, Jr.
Jan. 26, 2004 – Jeremy Wariner, So.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>