Baylor Track & Field: Fields III Highlights Day One in Lubbock

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Fri Feb 12 21:49:12 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – February 12, 2021

Baylor Track & Field: Fields III Highlights Day One in Lubbock
Senior cruised to a season-best 46.88 in just his second 400 meters of the indoor season.

*COMPLETE RESULTS ATTACHED*

LUBBOCK, Texas - Howard Fields III finished as the runner-up in the men’s 400 meters to highlight day one for Baylor Track & Field at the Texas Tech Shootout.

“I thought everyone competed well,” associate head coach Michael Ford said. “The effort was there for the group overall. We had a few PRs.”

Fields III cruised to a season-best 46.88 in just his second 400 meters of the indoor season to take home the title.

“Trey ran well,” Ford said. “I was glad to see him back. He missed the first two meets with a hamstring. He felt a lot better, and I thought he ran a lot smarter this time. Going into Big 12s, he’s in a good spot mentally and physically. I was really pleased with him.”

In the women’s pole vault, Tuesdi Tidwell placed third with a mark of 14-0 (4.27m), while Alex Kubicek recorded a personal-best mark of 13-8.25 (4.17m) to finish fourth.

“Tuesdi finished third with a solid performance,” Ford said. “It was definitely good to see Alex come back with another PR, too.”

Kennedy Bailey took fourth in the women’s 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.35, while Deshaun Jones placed fifth in the men’s 60-meter hurdles (8.12). Earlier in the day, Alyssa Miller just missed the women’s final after running a personal-best 8.63.

“I was happy with Alyssa’s PR in the hurdles,” Ford said. “She just missed the finals, and Kennedy made another final.

“We were pleased with the (hurdles) guys. They dropped some times. I thought the prelim race was better than the final race, but we were happy to see them get two races in.”

In the women’s 400 meters, Lily Williams won heat three with an indoor-best 54.46 to finish fifth overall. Kavia Francis placed eighth with a personal-best 54.97.

“Kavia did well in the quarter,” Ford said. “She ran faster than she did last time we came out here. Also, Lily dropped almost half a second in the quarter. That was big for her.”

The Bears are back at it in Lubbock on Saturday, beginning with the women’s shot put at 11 a.m. CT. At the Iowa State Classic in Ames, Iowa, Saturday action gets underway for the Bears at 12:30 p.m. CT with the women’s mile.

“Overall, I thought everything was good,” Ford said. “I thought they competed well. Now, we have to try to get it done tomorrow.”

Live results from Lubbock are located at https://pttiming.com/event.php?mid=77, while live results from Ames can be found at https://live.pttiming.com/?mid=2122.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>