Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot Named to The Bowerman Watch List

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Thu Feb 11 16:02:33 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – February 11, 2021

Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot Named to The Bowerman Watch List
Junior pole vaulter earns second mention for sport’s highest honor.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor junior KC Lightfoot has been named to the initial The Bowerman Watch List for the 2021 season, the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) announced Thursday.

“That’s another really, really nice honor for KC,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “It’s well-deserved. We thought this was hopefully coming, and it’s nice to see. This is a very prestigious honor for him. It’s an incredible award, and just to be on that watch list this early is a big deal. I’m happy for him.”

This is Lightfoot’s second time on the watch list for his career, as he made the pre-NCAA indoor watch list a season ago. He and Trayvon Bromell (2015) are the only two Baylor men’s athletes to be named to the watch list.

“It’s always an honor to be on The Bowerman watch list,” Lightfoot said. “I’ve been on it before, but it’s still super cool to see my name on the list. I’m excited for the rest of the season, and hopefully some big bars will come.”

The Bowerman is presented annually to the year's most outstanding collegiate male and female track & field athlete (indoor and outdoor track & field combined).

The watch lists represent the consensus, among members of The Bowerman Watch List committees, of who currently is on their radar for consideration to win this year's award. These athletes may or may not have competed yet this year, but based on their past credentials, have the attention of the committee(s).

Aside from the initial watch list, there will be six more "updates" to the list. The next update is scheduled to occur after the indoor conference championships -- March 3rd for the women and March 4th for the men.

Following the NCAA outdoor track & field championships, these committees will name semifinalists and make their recommendations to the Bowerman Advisory Board of whom they believe should be finalists for the award. In late June, The Board will choose from these recommendations and three men's finalists and three women's finalists will emerge.

Lightfoot is set for his final meet before the Big 12 Championship this weekend at the Texas Tech Shootout in Lubbock, Texas.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

THE BOWERMAN 2021
Men's Watch List -- February 11

Matthew Boling*, Georgia (Sprints/Jumps)
Trey Cunningham, Florida State (Hurdles)
Devin Dixon, Texas A&M (Mid-Distance/Relays)
Gleb Dudarev, Kansas (Throws)
JuVaughn Harrison, LSU (Jumps)
Takieddine Hedeilli*, Texas Tech (Mid-Distance)
Charlie Hunter*, Oregon (Mid-Distance)
KC Lightfoot, Baylor (Pole Vault)
Tripp Piperi*, Texas (Throws)
Cooper Teare*, Oregon (Distance)

* watch list career debut

Also receiving votes
Trevor Bassitt, Ashland (Sprints/Hurdles)
Bryce Deadmon, Texas A&M (Sprints)
Johannes Erm, Georgia (Combined Events)
Chengetayi Mapaya, TCU (Jumps)
Trevor Stewart, North Carolina A&T (Sprints)

THE BOWERMAN 2021
Women's Watch List -- February 10

Julien Alfred, Texas (Sprints)
Angie Annelus, Southern California (Sprints)
Chanel Brissett, Texas (Sprints/Hurdles)
Tyra Gittens*, Texas A&M (Combined Events)
Anna Hall*, Georgia (Combined Events)
Tonea Marshall, LSU (Hurdles)
Athing Mu*, Texas A&M (Sprints/Mid-Distance)
Monae' Nichols*, Texas Tech (Jumps/Sprints)
Twanisha Terry, Southern California (Sprints)
Ruth Usoro*, Texas Tech (Jumps)

* watch list career debut

Also receiving votes
Anna Cockrell, Southern California (Sprints/Hurdles)
Lauren Gregory, Arkansas (Distance)
Lisa Gunnarsson, LSU (Pole Vault)
Katie Izzo, Arkansas (Distance)
Kaelin Roberts, Southern California (Sprints)
Josie Schaefer, Wisconsin (Throws)
Abby Steiner, Kentucky (Sprints)

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>