No. 9 Baylor Equestrian Edges No. 7 TCU, 10-9

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Feb 6 16:10:34 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – February 6, 2021

No. 9 EQ Edges No. 7 TCU, 10-9
Bears use 4-1 Horsemanship win to complete comeback over Horned Frogs

WACO, Texas – No. 9 Baylor equestrian (1-1) edged No. 7 TCU (3-1) at the Willis Family Equestrian Center on Saturday with a final tally of 10-9.

Late in the meet, Baylor trailed 8-6 heading into the second half of Horsemanship. With one point already given to TCU’s Shea Graham, Baylor collected the final four points of the event and claimed the overall meet victory.

The Bears opened the day with a narrow 3-2 loss in Fences, where Emma Fletcher earned her first MOP of the season with an 84. BU and TCU then tied 2-2 in Reining, giving the Horned Frogs a slight 5-4 lead at halftime.

After the break, Baylor kept the score close, but dropped the Flat event 3-2. Rachael Davis came away with her first MOP honor of the season, scoring an 81 on Capi.

Though the meet was tight throughout its duration, Baylor ran away at the end as four Bears scored above a 77 to win their points in Horsemanship, securing the meet victory at 10-9.

NOTABLES
• Baylor improved to 23-7 all-time against TCU and has won five of the last six meetings with the Horned Frogs.
• BU is now 1-1 against ranked opponents this season.
• Under fourth-year head coach Casie Maxwell, the Bears are now 14-3 all-time at home, including a 6-2 mark at home against Big 12 foes.
• Baylor claimed the Horsemanship event 4-1.
• The Bears collected a 6-3 advantage in the Western events.
• Emma Fletcher and Rachael Davis earned MOP honors for the Bears in Fences and Flat.
• Fletcher recorded the highest score of the day for the Bears with an 84 in Fences.
• Four Bears scored above a 77 in Horsemanship – Katie Davis (77.5), Clara Johnson (78), Elsie Naruszewicz (79.5) and Kacie Scharf (79).

STAT OF THE MEET
4 - The number of points Baylor scored in Horsemanship to secure the win.

TOP QUOTE
Head coach Casie Maxwell…
On today’s meet…
“It was exciting. It was good to be back home. It was great to have tough competition and be in a high-pressure situation. TCU put out a great matchup today. I’m so thankful for these student-athletes to come out with a win. Even though the score was close, we had some really strong rides today. I feel like we’re in a really good place this early in the season.”

Senior Katie Davis
On the 4-1 win for Horsemanship...
“It’s huge. This meet was super close throughout the day, so we knew we had to come out strong as a horsemanship squad. Being able to turn it around from last weekend and beat a Big 12 team is huge. I think it’s going to propel us through the rest of the season.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor will take on Fresno State on Thursday, February 18 in a neutral-site Big 12 matchup, hosted by TCU. The Bears are currently 13-4 all-time against the Bulldogs.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on Facebook (Baylor Equestrian), Twitter (@BaylorEQ) and Instagram (@BaylorEquestrian).

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)