Baylor Cross Country Begins 2021 Season at Aggie Opener

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Tue Aug 31 17:03:25 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – August 31, 2021

Baylor Cross Country Begins 2021 Season at Aggie Opener
Women’s team is ranked No. 4 in the South Central Region

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – A new era in Baylor cross country begins Wednesday as the Bears travel to College Station for the Aggie Opener at Watts Cross Country Course.

“It’s a dress rehearsal,” head cross country coach David Barnett said. “I really want to see a sense of urgency that you have to make the most of this opportunity. I just want to see great effort, and from there, I can kind of piece together who’s who as I’m figuring out the dynamics of the team.”

Baylor will run for the first time under the direction of Barnett, with the women’s 4.1K kicking things off at 6:45 p.m. CT and the men’s 6K closing things out at 7:15 p.m. CT.

“With these being shorter races, it will be a chance for some of these folks in our middle distance to kind of mix it up and see what they can do,” Barnett said. “So, that should be good.”

Coming into the season, the women’s team is ranked No. 4 in the South Central Region, while the men’s team is currently unranked.

Competing for the women’s team will be grad transfer Ellie Friesen, senior Celia Holmes, sophomore Chloe Gangnath and freshmen Hayden Gold, Devon Vopni, Jordan Ledington and Katherine Urbani.

On the men’s side, seniors Ryan Hodge, Philip Roxas and Alec Atteberry will be joined by freshmen Drew Snyder and Beau Thomason.

The Bears will be going up against host Texas A&M, ACU, Houston, Prairie View, Rice (women), SMU (women), TCU, Texas Southern (men) and the University of St. Thomas.

Live results from the Aggie Opener will be provided by Flash Results<https://flashresults.com/>.

For updates on Baylor cross country throughout the season, follow @BaylorTrack on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>