Baylor Men's Tennis Adds Four Transfers for 2021-22 Roster

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Wed Aug 25 10:25:46 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – August 25, 2021

MT Adds Four Transfers for 2021-22 Roster
Bears reload roster with additions from AAC, ACC, Big 12, Pac-12

WACO, Texas – Baylor men’s tennis head coach Michael Woodson announced Wednesday the additions of transfers Jacob Brumm, Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi, Cole Gromley and Tadeas Paroulek to the 2021-22 roster.

The newest Bears join an already talented BU squad that returns five players from its national runners-up roster, including three All-Americans.

Brumm comes to Baylor after spending four seasons at Cal. He posted a 50-30 singles mark and 46-30 doubles tally in his career as a Golden Bear, and previously reached a career-high ranking of No. 8 in doubles. With one season of eligibility remaining, Brumm becomes the Bears’ fifth graduate transfer in the last three seasons.

“Jacob’s passion for the game and professionalism both on the court and in the classroom will make an immediate impact on our program,” said Woodson. “You will not meet another guy with the level of respect he garners from his peers, and I can’t wait to get to work with him.”

Coming out of high school, Brumm was rated the No. 7 recruit nationally after winning several 2017 spring tournaments. The Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., native reached the Round of 16 in the 2019 NCAA Doubles Championship alongside Cal teammate Yuta Kikuchi. Brumm currently boasts a UTR of 13.00.

Following three seasons of action at UCF, Grassi Mazzuchi heads to the Lone Star State with two seasons of eligibility remaining. He tallied records of 53-28 in singles and 53-22 in doubles with the Knights and reached career-high rankings of No. 29 in singles and No. 6 in doubles as a sophomore in 2020.

“We couldn’t be happier to have Juampi join us here at Baylor. He has a wealth of collegiate playing experience at the highest level. His work ethic and team-first mentality are going to be well received here,” said Woodson. “Though he has accomplished so much in college already, the aspect we are most excited about is his potential. We feel this is an environment that he can grow and develop in over the next couple of years and we cannot wait to get started with him.”

Originally from Mar de Plata, Argentina, Grassi Mazzuchi earned All-Conference honors in both singles and doubles last season, in addition to being named the AAC Championship Most Outstanding Player. Entering college, he had been ranked in the top-15 of the ITF world junior rankings. In 2017, he competed in the Roland Garros Junior French Championships, the Junior Championships at Wimbledon and the US Open Junior Tennis Championships. His 13.28 current UTR rating is the highest amongst BU’s incoming class.

After spending three seasons at Georgia Tech, Gromley makes the move to Waco as a fourth-year junior. He racked up a 15-13 singles record as a Yellow Jacket with experience at every position in the lineup.

“Cole is a young man who has consistently risen to the challenge throughout his time in college. In getting to know him, the adversity he has faced has strengthened his passion for the game and his ambitions to reach his full potential,” said Woodson. “We are very much looking forward to having a student-athlete with his perspective, humility and drive. I expect big things out of him both on and off the court over the coming seasons.”

Hailing from Johns Creek, Ga., Gromley brings with him a UTR rating of 12. He is a former five-star recruit who led his high school to a 2017 state championship, as well as region titles in 2016 and 2018. Additionally, Gromley was the Georgia state singles champion as a high school junior in 2017.

Paroulek joins the Bears after previously spending two seasons at TCU. He compiled a 19-19 singles record and went 23-10 in doubles during his time with the Horned Frogs. After retaining eligibility following the shortened 2020 season, Paroulek comes to Waco as a third-year sophomore with three seasons of eligibility remaining.

“Tadeas has one of the most decorated tennis resumes you will find in collegiate tennis. In competing against him over the past couple of years, it’s been clear that his goals and values align with those we strive for here at Baylor,” said Woodson. “He brings valuable experience and considerable upside to this squad for the next few years, and we can hardly wait to get him in the green and gold.”

Originally from Prague, Czech Republic, Paroulek comes to Waco with a career high ITA ranking of No. 105 in singles and No. 24 in doubles. He was named the ITA’s No. 3 preseason freshman/newcomer ahead of the 2019-20 season. Paroulek has been ranked as high as No. 531 in the ATP singles rankings and No. 579 in the ATP doubles rankings, with career-highs of No. 196 and No. 105 in the ITF singles and doubles rankings. Currently, he holds a UTR of 13.17.

The Bears will look to follow up last season’s historic campaign in which they set a program record with 34 wins and reached the NCAA National Championship for the third time in school history. With last year’s tournament title and share of the Big 12 regular-season crown, BU has now won a combined 24 conference championships all-time.

For the latest news on the Baylor men’s tennis team all season long, follow their official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorMTennis.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)