Baylor SOC Drops Season Opener at Minnesota

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Thu Aug 19 21:14:07 CDT 2021

­BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Aug. 19, 2021

SOC Drops Season Opener at Minnesota
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – Baylor soccer dropped its season opener at Minnesota, 1-0, Thursday night at Elizabeth Lyle Robbie Stadium.

The Bears got out to a slow start as the Gophers jumped out with a goal in the sixth minute. Midway through the first half, Baylor settled in and began to apply pressure to the Minnesota backline.

Maddie Algya held her own in the midfield for BU and sparked a few offensive attacks. One of which nearly ended with a goal for the Bears as Algya found Elizabeth Kooiman down the right side. Kooiman then delivered a cross that Taylor Moon headed just wide of the left post.

It was Moon again who nearly tied things up before the half. The senior forward booted a ball from just outside the box that the Minnesota keeper barely got her fingertips on to send the ball over the crossbar.

Baylor came out strong in the second half, outshooting the Gophers, 11-5, in the period. Half of those shots came in the final 13 minutes of play.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Freshmen Ava Colberg and Haven Terry made their first career starts for the Bears. Sophie Wilson also made her debut in the green and gold.
  *   Ally Henderson and Taylor Moon each finished with three shots to lead the Bears.

NEXT UP
Baylor makes the trip from Minnesota to North Dakota as the Bears will face North Dakota State at 1 p.m. on Sunday.

TOP QUOTES
Paul Jobson on the game…
“Minnesota did a great job tonight and punished us early when we weren’t at our best. We were much more like ourselves in the second half and created some great chances.  It was just too little too late. It’s a great time of the season to learn some great lessons. We will be ready for Sunday.”

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_1583365454]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>