Baylor SB Opens Series with 9-5 Win at Iowa State

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Fri Apr 23 19:47:08 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 23, 2021

SB Opens Series with 9-5 Win at Iowa State
Top of the order combined for nine hits, six RBI
Media link: http://baylorbea.rs/BaylorSoftball
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
AMES, Iowa – Baylor softball took the series opener against the Cyclones, 9-5, Friday afternoon in Ames.

The Lady Bears jumped out to an early lead as Lou Gilbert got things started with a double before a single up the middle by Emily Hott brought her home. Hott scored shortly after when Aliyah Binford singled.

After retiring the Cyclones in order in the bottom of the first, the Baylor offense came out and plated three more runs in the top of the second. All of those runs came with two outs.

Hannah Smith set everything up with a single to right field to keep the inning going before Gilbert smacked her third home run of the season over the left field fence. Hott followed with a walk and then scored when Goose McGlaun singled.

Iowa State got on the board in the bottom of the second, but Baylor answered in the fourth with three more runs. Smith led off the frame with a walk, and Gilbert slipped a single through the right side. A double to right field by Hott scored Smith before a sacrifice fly by McGlaun to left field brought Gilbert home.

One more run came across for the Lady Bears in the sixth as Hott, who doubled down the right field line, scored when Taylor Ellis grounded out to shortstop.

Gia Rodoni went the whole way for Baylor with seven strikeouts to pick up the win.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Lou Gilbert set a career high with four hits as the sophomore went 4-for-4 at the plate with two RBI and three runs scored.
  *   Gilbert is the second Lady Bear to record four hits in a game this season (Nicky Dawson at Louisiana on March 4). Friday also marked the 52nd four-hit game by a Lady Bear.
  *   Emily Hott went 3-for-3 with two RBI, four runs scored and a walk.
  *   Hott has now reached base in 22-straight games, a mark that puts her ninth in program history.
  *   Goose McGlaun went 2-for-3 with a pair of RBI.
  *   Hannah Smith made a stellar diving catch in center field in the fifth inning. She also went 1-for-3 with a walk drawn and two runs scored.
  *   Gia Rodoni picked up her eighth win of the season and threw her sixth complete game of the season. Rodoni is No. 8 in program history with 38 career complete games.
  *   Glenn Moore is two wins away from his 800th victory at Baylor.
  *   The top of the order in Gilbert, Hott and McGlaun combined for nine hits and six RBI.

STAT OF THE DAY
5 – Number of runs Baylor scored with two outs

TOP QUOTES
Baylor head coach Glenn Moore on the game…
“I really liked the top of our order today. We also had great at-bats with two outs, and that’s a good sign of the focus we are playing with. Gia (Rodoni) had a good game keeping a very good offense in check after we got the lead.”

UP NEXT
Baylor takes on Iowa State at 1 p.m. on Saturday for the second game of the series.

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_2067779929]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>