Baylor SB Falls to Texas State, 7-5

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Wed Apr 14 22:01:23 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 14, 2021

SB Falls to Texas State, 7-5
Baylor returns to Big 12 action over the weekend at Oklahoma State
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN

WACO, Texas – Baylor softball, in its first game since April 2, dropped a 7-5 contest to Texas State Wednesday night at Getterman Stadium.

The Bobcats jumped out to a 4-0 lead by the middle of the third inning before the Baylor bats got things going in the bottom of the frame to tie things up.

Hannah Smith led things off with a single to left field before she moved over to second off a sacrifice bunt by Lou Gilbert. Smith came around to score when Maddison Kettler singled to left field. That started a string of four-straight singles by the middle of the Baylor order (Kettler, Goose McGlaun, Taylor Ellis and Emily Hott).

Josie Bower then had a fielder’s choice to second that brought home a run before Zadie LaValley’s RBI single to center field tied things up.

Texas State regained the lead in the fourth and tacked on a couple more runs through the final four innings. The Lady Bears fought back with a run in the fifth off a sacrifice fly by LaValley that scored Hott.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Zadie LaValley had her sixth multi-RBI game of the year, a team high.
  *   Emily Hott has reached base in 17-straight games.
  *   Maddison Kettler had her sixth multi-hit game.
  *   Taylor Ellis had her seventh multi-hit game.
  *   Josie Bower hit her sixth double of the season.

STAT OF THE DAY
100 – Career starts for Lou Gilbert. She has started every game of her Baylor career.

TOP QUOTES
Baylor head coach Glenn Moore on the game…

"When you’re playing a very good team, you need to play your best. It’s unrealistic to think that we could be at our best with a third of the team out for the last 10 days. We competed hard but made too many mistakes. The positive is we got to play. Now we need to fix some things and become more competitive as we enter back into Big 12 play.”

UP NEXT

The Lady Bears head to Stillwater, Okla., to take on Oklahoma State in a three-game series. The first pitch on Friday is scheduled for 6 p.m. at Cowgirl Stadium.

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_1768796135]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>