Baylor Women’s Golf Wins Sixth Title of Season at Lone Star Invitational

Kaye, David David_Kaye at baylor.edu
Tue Apr 13 15:51:28 CDT 2021

Complete results and statistics attached.

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 13, 2021

Baylor Women’s Golf Wins Sixth Title of Season at Lone Star Invitational
Bears set school record with 54-hole total of 826
For more information contact: David Kaye, 254-709-5147, David_Kaye at baylor.edu<mailto:David_Kaye at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
HUMBLE, Texas – Baylor women’s golf claimed its sixth tournament title of the 2020-21 season by winning the Lone Star Invitational at Golf Club of Houston. The Bears shot 10-under-par 278 in Tuesday’s final round to finish off a 33-stroke victory with a school-record 54-hole total of 38-under 826.

No. 14 Baylor (-38) defeated SMU (-5), Texas State (+1), BYU (+15), Kansas (+24) and Tulane (+34) to win the tournament title. The Bears’ 54-hole total of 826 was seven shots better than the previous school record, which was set when BU opened the 2020-21 season with an 833 to win the Schooner Fall Classic.

Five Bears recorded top-10 finishes in the 39-player field, led by Hannah Karg in third place at 9-under-par 207, which tied the sixth-best individual tournament score in program history. Karg shot 1-under 71 in Tuesday’s final round.

Gurleen Kaur posted the Bears’ best final round with a 5-under 67 to finish in fourth place at 8-under 208. She made six-consecutive birdies on her way to a 31 on the front-9. Rosie Belsham carded 3-under 69 on Tuesday to finished tied for seventh at 5-under 211, and Britta Snyder joined her in a tie for seventh place after her final round of 1-under 71. Elodie Chapelet placed 10th at 2-under 214 following a final round of even-par 72, and Nina Lang shot 6-over 78 in the final round to tie for 17th place at 4-over 220.

Baylor extended its school record with a sixth tournament title of the season. The Bears won the Schooner Fall Classic, Betsy Rawls Invitational and Cowgirl Classic in the fall, then followed with wins at the Trinity Forest Invitational, ICON Invitational and Lone Star Invitational in the spring.

With the school-record 54-hole total of 826, Baylor has now posted four of the six best tournament scores in program history during the 2020-21 season. BU set the previous record with an 833 at the Schooner Fall Classic. The Bears recorded the now fourth-best mark in school history with an 840 at the ICON Invitational, and Baylor added an 842 at the Betsy Rawls Invitational, which is now tied as the fifth-best mark by a BU team.

STAT OF THE DAY
19 – Gurleen Kaur led the tournament with 19 birdies, three more than any other golfer in the 39-player field. She made eight birdies in the final round, including six straight between the third and eighth holes.

QUOTE OF THE DAY
“We’re where we need to be,” head coach Jay Goble said. “We needed competition, we needed a win. Everything that we wanted to accomplish this week, we did. Throwing in an individual tournament round record is pretty big as well. I believe this should do nothing but give them confidence moving into this weekend and postseason.”

WHAT'S NEXT

Baylor begins postseason play next weekend at the 2021 Big 12 Championship, which runs Sunday through Tuesday at Carlton Woods in The Woodlands, Texas. Follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

--

David Kaye | Assistant AD for Communications