Baylor VB's Bramschreiber Highlights Big 12 VB Postseason Awards

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Thu Apr 8 11:33:02 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 8, 2021

Bramschreiber Highlights Big 12 VB Postseason Awards
Four Bears named to All-Big 12 first team, Bramschreiber becomes BU’s first Libero of the Year

IRVING, Texas – In addition to four All-Big 12 first-team honors, Baylor volleyball junior Shanel Bramschreiber highlighted the 2020 Big 12 postseason awards as Libero of the Year in Thursday morning’s announcement from the conference office.

Bramschreiber becomes BU’s first Libero of the Year in program history. In her first season as the libero, she led the conference with 357 digs and ranked sixth in the league with 3.72 digs per set. In 21 of Baylor’s 25 matches, Bramschreiber recorded double-digit digs, including 13 outings with at least 15 and four instances above 20. She was also awarded Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week for the first time in her career on Oct. 13 following a 39-dig weekend against Oklahoma.

“I am absolutely thrilled for Shanel and the recognition as Big 12 Libero of the Year,” said head coach Ryan McGuyre. “It is such a selfless position and stats do not always tell the story. Shanel has been our heart and soul this season. Her strength and grit were persevering and she grew as a leader from start to finish. She held down our passing and defense, and I believe she’s one of the best setting liberos in the country. I am deeply proud of Shanel because this award is a product of her work ethic and determination.”

Alongside Bramschreiber, sophomores Lauren Harrison and Kara McGhee as well as senior Yossiana Pressley were each named to the All-Big 12 First Team.

A unanimous selection, Harrison made her Big 12 debut in impressive fashion with 282 kills (3.20 per set) in 88 of Baylor’s 96 sets played. She eclipsed double figures in kills 17 times, including each of her last eight matches to end the regular season. Harrison also placed sixth in the conference with 308 total points.

“With Yossi and Lauren on the outside, we had a healthy one-two punch all season long,” said McGuyre. “Whether it was in system or out of system, we relied heavily upon those two offensively. Lauren is also such an effective blocker.”

Following second-team honors last season, McGhee earned a spot on the first team after collecting 118 blocks, the second-most in the Big 12. She also ranked third in the league with 1.26 blocks per set and led the Bears with a .299 attack percentage. McGhee was twice named the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week this season following a pair of double-digit blocking performances.

“Kara’s blocking gave us reliable defense all season long,” said McGuyre. “She has a heavy arm and collected many timely kills for us this year.”

Rounding out the Bears’ 2020 season accolades is the reigning AVCA National Player of the Year, who was a unanimous first-team selection for the fourth time in her career. Pressley led the Big 12 with 447 kills, 4.66 kills per set and 488 total points, hitting .247 on the year. She earned Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week honors three times this season, breaking the conference record with her 19th-career weekly award. Pressley also picked up her first Defensive Player of the Week accolades and has been named a finalist for the Senior CLASS Award.

“Yossi’s growth on defense has been amazing this season,” said McGuyre. “All of our honorees are multi-skilled athletes and serve their teammates well. If they continue to choose joy and perseverance, I expect their growth to continue and their futures to be bright.”

No. 12-seeded Baylor will begin its run at the 2020-21 NCAA Championship on Thursday, April 15, against the winner of UMBC and Pepperdine in the NCAA Second Round at 11 a.m. CT in Omaha, Neb.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVBall.

ALL-BIG 12 VOLLEYBALL POSTSEASON AWARDS:

Big 12 Libero of the Year: Shanel Bramschreiber, Jr.

All-Big 12 First Team --
Shanel Bramschreiber, Jr.
* Lauren Harrison, So.
!$ Kara McGhee, So.
*#^ Yossiana Pressley, Sr.

* Unanimous selection
# Four-time All-Big 12 First Team selection
! 2019 All-Big 12 Second Team selection
$ 2019 All-Big 12 Rookie Team selection
^ 2017 All-Big 12 Freshman Team selection

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)