Baylor SB Drops Doubleheader at BYU

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Fri Apr 2 20:08:01 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 2, 2021

SB Drops Doubleheader at BYU
Baylor returns home for midweek action vs. ACU
Media link: http://baylorbea.rs/BaylorSoftball
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
PROVO, Utah – Baylor softball dropped a pair of games against BYU  on Friday at Gail Miller Field. After the first game of the day ended in a 7-5 win for the Cougars, the Lady Bears’ seventh inning rally fell short in a 7-5 contest later in the afternoon.

GAME 1: BYU 7, BAYLOR 5
Baylor jumped out to a lead in the second inning over the Cougars but a late-inning rally by BYU clinched the 7-5 win for the home team in the first game of Friday’s doubleheader.

After BYU plated two in the bottom of the first, Baylor answered by putting up a four-spot in the second. With two outs in the frame, Josie Bower singled to left field and then advanced to second on a passed ball. Zadie LaValley drew a walk, and Sydney Collazos got plunked to load the bases. Emily Hott then drew a walk to score the first run of the game for BU before Lou Gilbert’s double to right center field cleared the bases and gave the Lady Bears the lead.

An inning later, Aliyah Binford blasted her second home run of the season over the center field wall after battling through an eight-pitch at bat.

BYU added two runs in the fifth and a three-spot in the sixth gave the Cougars back the lead for good.

Bower went 3-for-3 at the plate in the game to lead Baylor as Gilbert went 2-for-4.

GAME 2: BYU 7, BAYLOR 5
Baylor mounted a two-out rally in the top of the seventh as the Lady Bears brought the winning run to the plate.

Lou Gilbert walked and Goose McGlaun singled to put runners on the corners for Taylor Ellis who singled to left field to score a run. Aliyah Binford was then hit by a pitch to load the bases, and another BU run scored when Josie Bower was plunked.

That brought the winning run to the plate but a groundout to third ended the game.

BYU jumped out to a 5-0 lead after two innings, but Baylor kept fighting.

In the top of the third, Emily Hott got things started with a single up the middle, and Gilbert followed with a double to left field to put two runners in scoring position with one out. McGlaun brought them both home with her single up the middle.

Binford delivered another solo shot in the fourth inning to cut BYU’s lead to two. The Cougars, however, scored two more in the fifth.

McGlaun, Ellis and Binford each picked up two hits for the game and combined for four RBI.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Josie Bower set a career high with a 3-for-3 performance at the plate in the first game of the day. It marked her eighth multi-hit game of her career.
  *   Lou Gilbert recorded the third multi-RBI game of the season with three in the first game.
  *   The heart of the order – Goose McGlaun, Taylor Ellis and Aliyah Binford – combined for six of Baylor’s nine hits and four of BU’s five RBI in the second game of the day.
  *   Emily Hott has now reached base safely in 16-straight games.

STAT OF THE DAY
2 – Number of home runs on the day by Aliyah Binford

TOP QUOTES
Baylor head coach Glenn Moore on the game…
“I’m very disappointed in the outcome of this weekend. I felt our offensive was productive even with two of our top hitters out, but we couldn’t stop their scoring attack. We are banged up but not in the circle. We know what our pitchers are capable of, and that’s why our expectations are so high.”

UP NEXT
Baylor returns home for the first time in 16 days to host a doubleheader against ACU on Tuesday. First pitch is scheduled for 5 p.m.

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_857599100]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>