Baylor Cross Country Opens Season Friday at ACU Invitational

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Thu Sep 17 12:25:39 CDT 2020

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Sept. 17, 2020

Baylor Cross Country Opens Season Friday at ACU Invitational
Women’s 5K race will begin at 6:30 p.m. CT, while men’s 8K starts at 7 p.m. CT.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor cross country makes its long-awaited return to action Friday (Sept. 18) as the Bears compete at the ACU Invitational Friday (Sept. 18) at the ACU Cross Country Course in Abilene, Texas.

“We’re really excited to be able to have the opportunity to race,” Baylor associate head coach Jon Capron said. “A lot of credit goes to our training staff that shouldered a lot of the burden of getting everything going. Everything else didn’t stop. They had to do everything and then also all the COVID protocols and testing. A lot of credit to getting here goes to them.”

The ACU Invitational will be a dual meet as the Bears go head-to-head with host ACU. The women’s 5K race will begin at 6:30 p.m. CT, followed by the men’s 8K at 7 p.m. CT.

“Credit to our athletes,” Capron said. “They’ve been continually preparing for a date that wasn’t really set in stone. We think we have a pretty great schedule set up and opportunities for them. There have been a lot of question marks, so we’re excited to get going.”

Sarah Antrich returns for her senior year alongside junior Celia Holmes to lead the Baylor women’s team, while senior Connor Laktasic and junior Ryan Day look to set the standard for the men’s team.

“I’m really excited about the returning upperclassmen and their ability to set the tone for this team,” Capron said. “I’m really excited to see them go out there and see where they are fitness-wise. I really value their leadership and they’re doing a great job setting expectations and tone for the whole team.

“On the guys’ side, Connor and Ryan Day are really doing a lot to make that happen,” Capron said. “I’m excited to see Ryan Hodge and Jeremy (Meadows) come back. On the ladies’ side, Mazie (Larsen) has been right there with Sarah and Celia, and Maddie Johnston for her senior year - she stayed at home and studied for the MCAT and trained hard this summer. Getting her 100% and fully healthy is going to be pretty helpful. The freshmen that we’ve brought in have also proven pretty capable. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were in our top-3 on either side.”

With the ACU Invitational being added to the schedule, Baylor now has four meets scheduled for the fall season. The Cowboy Jamboree in Stillwater, Okla., is set for Oct. 3, the Arturo Barrios Invitational in College Station, Texas, will take place Oct. 17, and the Big 12 Championships will run Oct. 30 in Lawrence, Kan.

“The plan is to all of us get a season better,” Capron said. “We had a season we missed in the spring. That was hard. The long-term development is what we’re all after, whether that’s for results we’re going to get this year or results we’re going to get this spring. The development that we’re looking for ongoing is the most important part of all of this.”

For updates on Baylor cross country throughout the season, follow @BaylorTrack on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>