Baylor Athletics Launches ONE Campaign

Kaye, David David_Kaye at baylor.edu
Thu Sep 10 17:30:52 CDT 2020

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – September 10, 2020

Baylor Athletics Launches ONE Campaign
Athletic department announces ongoing commitment to unify the Baylor community to promote racial equality
For more information contact: David Kaye, 254-709-5147, David_Kaye at baylor.edu<mailto:David_Kaye at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor Athletics launches ONE, a department-wide campaign focused on uniting the Baylor community around a shared commitment to justice, equality, and love. The ONE campaign focuses on Baylor Athletics providing actionable opportunities to address racial injustice and inequalities within our community.

Baylor Athletics' 19 intercollegiate sport programs, coaches, and staff are challenged to identify at least one initiative or action to move them closer to achieving one Baylor and one community.

Athletic department initiatives will be led by the Student-Athlete Huddle Council and the Cultural Humility Working Group. The Student-Athlete Huddle Council is comprised of representatives from each team who serve as liaisons between student-athletes, coaches, and athletics administration. The Council will act as a sounding board for student-athlete and department social responsibility, diversity, and equity initiatives. The Cultural Humility Working Group, led by Cori Pinkett, Assistant AD for Character Formation, and Joe Gonzales, Director of Digital Media, will continue to coordinate programming committed to ensuring Baylor Athletics is a place where people from all backgrounds feel valued and are comfortable being their authentic self.

"It takes all of us to create change, and our 500+ student-athletes play a prominent part," said Mack B. Rhoades, Director of Intercollegiate Athletics. "The ONE Campaign is an appeal to our nation, the Baylor family, and one another, to take meaningful action to shape a brighter future for our communities."

Starting this Friday, September 11, Baylor student-athletes will wear a ONE patch on their jerseys as a visual reminder of our commitment to unifying and promoting change within our communities. Each team will be given the choice of choosing between one of two associated scriptural references, Acts 10:34 or Colossians 3:12-14, to include on their patch.

Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism.” - Acts 10:34

 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. - Colossians 3:12-14

The ONE campaign runs parallel to the department's vision of Preparing Champions for Life and related mission to live by One Standard and of One Accord, grounded in six scripturally based operating principles.

"Unity and justice are at the core of Baylor Athletics' Christian commitment to treat one another with dignity and respect," said Rhoades. "The ONE campaign is intended to empower our student-athletes and staff to not only learn about social justice but to engage in transformational initiatives."

The launch of the ONE campaign follows the NCAA’s decision to allow student-athletes to wear patches in support of social justice causes. Additionally, the Big12 Conference announced a new anti-racism campaign including social justice messages, public service announcements, and a Big 12-branded unity sticker.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

--

David Kaye | Assistant AD for Communications