Baylor Women’s Golf Signs Trio of Student-Athletes

Kaye, David David_Kaye at baylor.edu
Fri Nov 13 18:00:11 CST 2020

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Nov. 13, 2020

Baylor Women’s Golf Signs Trio of Student-Athletes
Bears add Seema, Matte and Palmer for 2021-22
For more information contact: David Kaye, 254-709-5147, David_Kaye at baylor.edu<mailto:David_Kaye at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor women’s golf has signed three student-athletes to its 2021 signing class, head coach Jay Goble announced Friday.

Baylor signed BaiMai Seema and Antonia Matte to National Letters of Intent, while Mattingly Palmer has accepted admission and will join the team as a walk-on. All three signees will join the 2021-22 Baylor team with four years of eligibility.

The Bears went the international route to bring in Matte and Seema, with Matte heading to Waco from Santiago, Chile, and Seema joining the Bears from Bangkok, Thailand. Goble picked up Mattingly’s commitment from just south of Waco in Georgetown, Texas.

Seema won the first 2020 TGA Ranking Championship with scores of 72-73-69 and tied for second at the third 2020 TGA Ranking Championship with scores of 71-73-74. She qualified for the Thai LPGA at Kabin Buri, tied for second place at the FCG World Callaway Junior Golf Championship, took fourth place at the 2019 Singha Amateur Open Match Play and finished fourth at the 2019 Preme Nobu Ladies Championship. Seema was named MVP of the American School of Bangkok High School team in both 2018 and 2019, and she qualified for the 2019 IMG Junior World Championship.

“We have had the commitment from BaiMai for quite a while, and we are very excited to finally make her officially a Baylor Bear,” Goble said. “BaiMai has the talent and athleticism to be as good as she wants to be. She has a great coach back in Thailand who has helped mold her game the past few years, and we know she will be a great addition to our lineup.”

Matte is ranked No. 442 in the World Amateur Golf Ranking with eight wins and 28 top-10 finishes out of 39 counting events. She claimed tournament titles at the 2018 Abierto Los Leones, the 2019 Abierto de Marbella, the 2019 Abierto Las Brisas de Santo Domingo, the 2019 Abierto Las Araucarias, the 2019 Abierto Los Lirios, the 2020 Abierto Rocas De Santo Domingo, the 2020 Abierto de Granadilla and the 2020 Abierto Internacional de Menores. She also finished as runner-up at the 2019 ANNIKA Invitational Latin America and the 2019 Women’s Western Amateur Championship at Royal Melbourne.

“Antonia is the definition of a world traveling competitive golfer,” Goble said. “We love the fact that she is ultra-competitive and tested her game on other continents besides South America. She loves to play and compete and also has a swing coach who will continue to move her in the right direction until she arrives in Waco. I believe Antonia has what it takes to play golf at a very high level for a long time, and we could not be happier to add her to our team next year.”

Palmer has won twice on the 2020 Southern Texas Junior Tour, claiming medalist honors at Club at Star Ranch and at Flintrock Falls. She also shot 71-71 to tie for fourth place in the Shootout in the Hills, and won tournament titles at the 2019 Junior Golf Hub New Braunfels Showcase and the 2019 Junior Tour at Balcones Country Club. Palmer won the 2019 TJGT DFW Fall Kickoff at Bridlewood and tied for third place in the 2019 TJGT Traditions Fall Invitational.

“We are very happy to announce that Mattingly will be joining our team next year,” Goble said. “Mattingly is from just an hour down the road, but she is a player who is just starting to reach her full potential. She has had some very solid rounds lately, and more importantly, she is continuing to improve every day and has the work ethic to improve her game very quickly.”

Baylor wrapped up its fall season after winning each of its three team tournaments – the Schooner Fall Classic, the Betsy Rawls Invitational and the Cowgirl Classic. BU earned a No. 1 national ranking for the first time in program history. The Bears return to action Feb. 1 at the Trinity Forest Invitational in Dallas.

Follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for updates throughout the season.

David Kaye | Assistant AD for Communications