Baylor Track & Field: Hardan Sets Weight Throw School Record

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Fri Jan 31 22:35:33 CST 2020

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – January 31, 2020

Baylor Track & Field: Hardan Sets Weight Throw School Record
Several Bears recorded personal bests on the opening day in Lubbock.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

LUBBOCK, Texas – Cole Hardan broke his own school record in the weight throw with a toss of 61-6.75 (18.76m), and several Bears recorded personal bests to highlight day one for Baylor track & field at the Texas Tech Invitational & Multis Friday at the Sports Performance Center.

“Overall, it was a good opener,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “We had some good PBs (personal bests). Our weight throwers all PB’d, so that was a nice day for those guys. We had some good, solid runs in the 400. We had some PBs in the 60m and 60m hurdles. We had about as many PBs as you can get in one day, so from that standpoint it was good. The competition is great up here as we knew coming in. Any time you’re running your best, that’s all you can ask for.”

It was the first time this season for Hardan to record a mark in the weight throw, and he made sure it was a big one. The sophomore from Valley Center, Calif., placed sixth with his performance.

“It was really a big day for Cole,” Harbour said. “He’d been struggling a little bit in the weight throw, so that was one of the highlights of the day. That was a nice school record.”

In the women’s weight throw, Mikayla Deshazer registered a personal-best mark of 53-4.25 (16.26m) to finish in second place. Samone Turner took fifth with a personal best of her own (50-3.5; 15.33m).

Alex Madlock placed fifth in the women’s triple jump with an indoor personal best of
43-9.25 (13.34m), which would be a top-5 national mark based on rankings heading into this weekend.

“That was a good PB for Alex in the triple jump,” Harbour said. “Caira (Pettway) just got one today, too.”

In the men’s 400 meters, Howard Fields III was forced into a DNF after getting tangled up on the first turn of the second 200. Matthew Moorer was the top-finishing Baylor runner in the 400, clocking in at 47.47 to place eighth.

“We had the mishap in the quarter with Trey (Howard Fields III), which was disappointing for him because he was running really well,” Harbour said. “I felt for him, because he was going to run a big time. It just wasn’t meant to be today. We’ll line up in that 4x4 tomorrow and get after it there.”

The Bears continue action in Lubbock Saturday beginning at 11 a.m. CT wirth the men’s and women’s long jump as well as the women’s shot put. Live results can be found at http://pttiming.com/events/87931741.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>