Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot, Tidwell Shine at Texas A&M Invite

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Sat Jan 25 20:25:27 CST 2020

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – January 25, 2020

Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot, Tidwell Shine at Texas A&M Invite
Tidwell set the Baylor school record in the pole vault that was previously held by Annie Rhodes.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

*COMPLETE RESULTS ATTACHED*

COLLEGE STATION, Texas – It was another banner day for the pole vault crew as KC Lightfoot and Tuesdi Tidwell both set indoor school records to highlight a big day for Baylor track & field Saturday at the Texas A&M Invitational.

“It was another really solid weekend overall,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “No letdown at all from last week. We wanted to come in and build on last week’s performance, and I thought we did that in a big way. It’s never a perfect meet, but we had a lot of really solid performances. Overall, it was a good weekend. We stayed healthy again, too. That’s always a big goal this time of the year.”

Tidwell shook up the Baylor record books as she took down Annie Rhodes’ indoor school record that was set in College Station in 2017. The junior from Early, Texas, cleared 14-9 (4.50m) to cement her spot as the Bears’ No. 1 all-time indoor pole vaulter ahead of Rhodes’ mark of 14-7.25. Tidwell now sits at No. 2 in the NCAA this season. Mackenzie Hayward finished second with a personal-best jump of 13-10.5 (4.23m), while Riley Floerke took third at 12-10.75 (3.93m).

“The fact that Tuesdi came in as a young girl from Early, Texas, and wasn’t on any athletic aid her first year, to watch where she came in and where she is now is pretty amazing,” Harbour said.  “It’s a pretty neat story. I told our guys that today. That’s pretty impressive. It’s a pretty neat story for all those who think ‘the odds are stacked against me and I can’t do that.’ Tuesdi is a great example that you can.”

Lightfoot became the 11th men’s pole vaulter in collegiate history to clear 19 feet indoors, jumping 19-0.25 (5.80m) to set the meet record, facility record and school record in addition to attaining the Olympic qualifying standard. The sophomore from Lee’s Summit, Mo., also maintained his No. 1 spot in the NCAA this season while taking home yet another victory. Riley Richards was the runner up at 17-5 (5.31m), while Reese Sarnowski was third at 16-7¼ (5.06m).

“The pole vaulters came out of the meet breaking two school records,” Harbour said. “That’s just amazing. KC and Tuesdi both. Tuesdi had the No. 2 jump in the nation and KC is the No. 1 jump in the nation. That’s pretty big stuff for the vault crew. Mackenzie just missed 14-2. She had some great attempts at that, which would have been a big PB for her. She had a great weekend, as well. Riley jumped well. They all did a good job.”

The men’s 4x400-meter relay ran the second-best time in the NCAA this season, clocking in at 3:06.93 to take the victory over Texas A&M. The Bears’ group of Maxwell Willis, Ryan Croson, Matthew Moorer and Howard Fields III lowered their time by three seconds from the opening meet.

“The 4x4, that was a big one for us,” Harbour said. “We dropped three seconds from last week. We’re not where we want to be a few weeks from now, but that was a really good place for those guys. Good race for those guys. Max led us off. Ryan got on it this week and did a great job. We had to pull Jayson (Baldridge), his hamstring was bothering him a little bit. We put Matthew on it after running the open quarter, so he was a little tired, but he did a great job. Trey (Howard Fields III) ran a great anchor. Those guys did a super job. That was fun.”

Five other Baylor student-athletes went home with wins Saturday to cap off a successful trip.

Elijah Morris took home his first title as a Baylor Bear, winning a photo finish in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.00 (7.995).

For the second time in as many weeks, Kennedy Bailey won the women’s 60-meter hurdles in a time of 8.28.

In the women’s long jump, Caira Pettway set her indoor personal best of 19-4.25 (5.90m) to take home the victory.

Sydney Washington won the women’s 60 meters, clocking a time of 7.49.

Freshman Kamden Jackson had a successful meet for the second-straight week, taking home the title in the men’s 200 meters with a time of 21.11 after finishing as the runner-up in the 60 meters.

“Kennedy ran well again,” Harbour said. “Elijah – that was a big PB for him and he got a win. Sydney was really solid again in the 60. Another great weekend for her. Watching Caira in the long jump, she did a great job. She competed hard and I’m really proud for her. Kam in the 200, that was a nice PB for him. He improved from last weekend again, an outstanding job.”

Next up for the Bears is the Texas Tech Invitational & Multis next Friday and Saturday in Lubbock.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>