Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot Sets Big 12 Record With Third Weekly Award

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Wed Feb 19 15:13:41 CST 2020

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – February 19, 2020

Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot Sets Big 12 Record With Third Weekly Award
Sophomore has earned the Big 12 weekly honor four times in his career.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor sophomore KC Lightfoot has set a conference record with his third Big 12 Indoor Track & Field Athlete of the Week honor of the season, the league office announced Wednesday.

“Another great award for an outstanding young man,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “It has been a blessing to watch KC progress the last two years.”

Lightfoot reclaimed the No. 1 spot in the NCAA over the weekend, winning a battle of the top-two ranked pole vaulters in the NCAA by breaking his own school record with a mark of 19-1 ½ (5.83m) at the Iowa State Classic in Ames, Iowa. The sophomore from Lee's Summit, Mo., defeated defending NCAA outdoor champion Chris Nilsen of South Dakota (18-6 ¾, 5.66m) with a school and facility-record mark to take over the top spot previously held by Nilsen.

“It’s an honor to receive Big 12 Athlete of the Week every time,” Lightfoot said. “Knowing that I have a lot to work on keeps me excited for the rest of the season. It wouldn’t be possible without all of the support that I have surrounding me every day.”

Lightfoot is the only multiple winner in Baylor indoor history, earning the Big 12 weekly award four times in his career (Jan. 29, 2020; Jan. 22, 2020; Feb. 20, 2019). He trails only Ryan Crouser of Texas (five from 2012-16) for most weekly selections in an indoor career. Lightfoot’s latest honor gives Baylor 13 men's indoor track & field athlete of the week awards in program history. It is the 44th overall conference athlete of the week honor (men's and women's indoor/outdoor) for the Bears’ track & field program since 2002.

“Back in high school my nickname for KC was ‘Mr. Consistency’ and he’s just being ‘Mr. Consistency’ this indoor season,” pole vault coach Brandon Richards said. “Jumping 5.80 three times is really something special. We just need to carry it on through conference. This award is really something special. We’re very honored.”

Lightfoot has cleared 19 feet in three consecutive weeks and is currently No. 4 in the World rankings. He is tied for the No. 5 performer spot in collegiate history and holds the top seven marks in Baylor history.

Lightfoot was also named National Athlete of the Week by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) on Tuesday for his performance in Iowa, the first-ever Baylor athlete to claim that award.

Lightfoot and the Bears are set for the 2020 Big 12 Indoor Championship Feb. 28-29 at the Lied Recreation-Athletic Facility on the campus of Iowa State University. More information on the Big 12 meet can be found here<https://big12sports.com/tournaments/?id=763>.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

All-Time Baylor Big 12 Indoor Athletes of the Week
Feb. 19, 2020 – KC Lightfoot, So.
Jan. 29, 2020 – KC Lightfoot, So.
Jan. 22, 2020 – KC Lightfoot, So.
Feb. 20, 2019 – KC Lightfoot, Fr.
Jan. 20, 2019 – Wil London, Sr.
Feb. 21, 2018 – Maxwell Willis, So.
Jan. 27, 2016 – George Caddick, Jr.
Jan. 29, 2014 – Felix Obi, So.
Jan. 15, 2008 – Quentin Iglehart-Summers, Jr.
Jan. 16, 2007 – Reggie Witherspoon, Sr.
Jan. 24, 2006 – Jacob Norman, Fr.
Feb. 16, 2004 – Darold Williamson, Jr.
Jan. 26, 2004 – Jeremy Wariner, So.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>