Statements on Cancellation of Baylor vs. Gonzaga Basketball Game

Kaye, David David_Kaye at baylor.edu
Sat Dec 5 10:35:38 CST 2020

Joint statement from Baylor and Gonzaga basketball programs:
Following surveillance testing for COVID-19, one student-athlete and one non-student-athlete of the Gonzaga men’s basketball travel party produced positive results. The student-athlete did not play in Wednesday’s game against West Virginia. In consultation with the Indiana State Health Commissioner, the Marion County Public Health Director, and both team physicians, Gonzaga and Baylor have mutually agreed today’s game will not be played. Both teams have agreed to attempt to reschedule the game at a later date.

Joint statement from Baylor head coach Scott Drew and Gonzaga head coach Mark Few:
We’re disappointed to not be able to play one of the most-anticipated games of the season, but we are following the advice of public health officials. When we decided to play during a pandemic, our priorities were protecting the health and safety of student-athletes and following public health guidelines, and we’re proud of how both programs have held true to those promises. There are much greater issues in this world than not being able to play a basketball game, so we’re going to continue praying for everyone who has been affected by this pandemic.

--

David Kaye | Assistant AD for Communications