Baylor XC Travels to Arkansas for Chile Pepper Festival

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Thu Oct 3 13:09:05 CDT 2019

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 3, 2019

Baylor XC Travels to Arkansas for Chile Pepper Festival
Men’s collegiate races begin at 9 a.m. CT, followed by the women’s collegiate races at 10:40 a.m. CT.
For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – After a three-week hiatus, Baylor cross country is back in action for the 31st Annual Chile Pepper Festival on Saturday at the University of Arkansas cross country course in Fayetteville, Ark.

“It’s a big meet,” Baylor associate head coach Jon Capron said. “We’ve had a lot of really good training the last couple weeks. We’ve put in a lot of work. It may not show just yet, but I’d like to see indicators of that work starting to surface. I’m excited to see what they can do, truthfully, in cooler weather. We haven’t had it yet, and I really think it’s going to expand their ability levels considerably.”

There will be two heats for both the men’s and women’s collegiate races. The first heat of the men’s collegiate 8K will begin at 9:00 a.m. CT, followed by the second heat at 9:50 a.m. CT. The women’s collegiate 5K heats will begin at 10:40 a.m. CT and 11:20 a.m. CT, respectively.

“It’s a good mix of regional competition,” Capron said. “There are some schools from our South Central region that we get to race, and there are a lot of teams that are in our wheelhouse. This is a really good, solid meet top to bottom. Obviously, Arkansas is going to be there, and then a really good mix from top-to-bottom.”

Lindsay Walton, who finished third overall at both the Bear Twilight Invitational and Texas A&M Invitational, will sit out this race after battling an illness. Sarah Antrich and Sadie Hamrin will also be out for the Bears, who are ranked No. 5 in the South Central region.

“For the ladies, this will be their last 5K,” Capron said. “It’ll go 6K from then on. If they’re going to be able to run a hard, fast 6K they need to be able to run a hard, fast 5K. Arkansas is a good opportunity. It’s a good, solid course. People will run fast on it.”

The Baylor men’s team, ranked No. 11 in the South Central region, will be close to full strength for this meet.

“The guys get another crack at an 8K,” Capron said. “Just letting their workouts flush out, hopefully they will run confidently in that distance with a little bit more work in their legs.”

Up next for Baylor will be the Arturo Barrios Invitational on Oct. 19 in College Station, the final tune-up before the Bears host the Big 12 Championships on Nov. 2 at Cottonwood Creek Golf Course in Waco.

“After this meet, we’re racing every two weeks until the end,” Capron said. “I’m excited about getting into the middle part of our season. We’re starting to get them rested a little bit, starting to get their legs underneath them and getting race confident.”

For updates on Baylor cross country throughout the season, follow @BaylorTrack on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>