Baylor XC: Sugg, Antrich Lead Bears at NCAA South Central Regional

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Fri Nov 15 17:17:37 CST 2019

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – November 15, 2019

Baylor XC: Sugg, Antrich Lead Bears at NCAA South Central Regional
Women’s team finished ninth while the men’s team placed 10th.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

*COMPLETE RESULTS ATTACHED*

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – TJ Sugg ran a career-best time in the 10K to place 27th, and Sarah Antrich had her best 6K of the season to finish 34th as Baylor cross country concluded the season at the NCAA South Central Regional Championships Friday afternoon at the University of Arkansas’ Agri Park.

“On the ladies’ side, we had a few injuries and some things going on to where we weren’t quite at our best,” associate head coach Jon Capron said. “You have to be to get where we wanted to be. Fifth place was definitely something we were gunning for. We didn’t get there. We didn’t have our best races all around.”

After missing the first half of the season, Antrich put together her best race of the year with a 6,000-meter time of 22:14.5 to register a 34th-place finish. Lindsay Walton finished right behind in 40th place with a time of 22:19.8. Gabby Satterlee battled through an ankle injury that occurred during the race to finish in 58th place with a time of 22:45.7. Hana Marsheck (23:05.3) and Celia Holmes (23:07.2) were the final two scoring runners for Baylor with 71st and 72nd-place finishes, respectively, to help the Bears to a ninth-place finish.

“Some of those girls have been fighting pretty well all year,” Capron said. “Sarah Antrich had a great day. I think if we get some more races like that from the whole crew we’re going to be right where we want to be. Lindsay Walton went for that top-25 spot and was in there but just faded a bit unfortunately coming home. She went for it, and I was proud of her for giving it a ride.

“We lost a little bit with Gabby,” Capron added. “She rolled her ankle right after the two-mile mark, and that definitely set us back a little bit points-wise. Celia didn’t have her best day and she usually does, so that was tough. I’m really proud of the way the girls competed. They went for it and kind of mixed it up, exactly as I asked them to do.”

In the men’s 10,000-meter race, Sugg led the Bears for the fifth consecutive race with a career-best time of 31:17.0 to come in 27th place. Ryan Day was next up for Baylor with a personal-best time of his own, placing 58th at 32:01.5. Ryan Hodge took 61st with a time of 32:05.8, followed by Connor Laktasic in 75th (32:33.2) and Cal Johnston in 85th (32:43.4) as scoring runners to help the Bears to a 10th-place finish.

“For the guys, that was right at where I thought we could get to,” Capron said. “For them to not be ranked at all, not even on the list, they put a pretty good race together. TJ ran well. Ryan Day ran great. Ryan Hodge ran great. We missed a little bit from Connor. He’s usually there, but we’ll figure it out. And then Cal just kept coming. I’m really proud of the way he raced. He knew what he was up against, so he just said ‘I’m going to sit back here and make sure I’m there by the end.’ He knew how he wanted to execute his race and he got it done. I was proud of those guys.”

With the 2019 cross country campaign complete, the Bears now look to the indoor and outdoor seasons, with a positive outlook for the 2020 cross country season.

“We have a lot to do before then,” Capron said. “On the ladies’ side, we’re going to miss some of those girls. We have a few graduating that I have to replace pretty quickly, but we have a really good core of girls that we can move with.

“On the guys side, they’re really young,” Capron said. “I’m excited to be able to work with those guys for a lot longer. It’s a great jumping off point because they know they can do better and they expect to do better. But there are some more things we have to do to make sure we can expect more from ourselves.”

For continued updates on Baylor cross country, follow @BaylorTrack on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Baylor Results (Women’s 6K)
34. Sarah Antrich - 22:14.5
40. Lindsay Walton - 22:19.8
58. Gabby Satterlee - 22:45.7
71. Hana Marsheck - 23:05.3
72. Celia Holmes - 23:07.2
82. Mazie Larsen - 23:18.8
94. Sophia Leidner - 23:29.5
Baylor Results (Men’s 10K)
27. TJ Sugg - 31:17.0
58. Ryan Day - 32:01.5
61. Ryan Hodge - 32:05.8
75. Connor Laktasic - 32:33.2
85. Cal Johnston - 32:43.4
116. Philip Roxas - 33:28.7
126. Matt Henderson - 34:31.0

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>