Baylor XC Teams Place Seventh at Big 12 Championship in Waco

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Sat Nov 2 14:00:23 CDT 2019

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – November 2, 2019

Baylor XC Teams Place Seventh at Big 12 Championship in Waco
Lindsay Walton and TJ Sugg recorded identical 32nd-place finishes for the Bears.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

*COMPLETE RESULTS ATTACHED*

WACO, Texas – With Baylor hosting for the first time since 2013, Lindsay Walton and TJ Sugg both finished 32nd to lead BU cross country to a pair of seventh-place finishes Saturday morning at the 2019 Big 12 Championship at Cottonwood Creek Golf Course.

“We did OK, didn’t really exceed expectations too much,” associate head coach Jon Capron said. “That said, we still had some pretty good performances.”

Kicking off the morning with the men’s 8,000-meter race, Sugg set the pace with a time of 24:55.5 to place 32nd. Connor Laktasic (39th) was next up with a personal-best 8K time of 25:09.1, followed by Ryan Day (53rd – 25:45.0), Ryan Hodge (56th – 25:55.3) and Cal Johnston (65th – 26:18.2) to complete the scoring for the Bears.

“On the guys’ side, we were a shade off in the pack,” Capron said. “We held our own, kind of held serve a little bit, but didn’t really over-exceed expectations. I think they know that, but we’ve got another race. I think regionals is going to set up really well for them to be able to end this season where we want to.”

In the women’s 6,000-meter race, Walton continued her breakout senior season by leading Baylor on the biggest stage thus far with a personal-best time of 21:47.6 to place 32nd. Celia Holmes wasn’t far behind in 42nd (22:08.8), while Gabby Satterlee (49th – 22:15.1), Sarah Antrich (51st – 22:21.1) and Sophia Leidner (57th – personal-best 22:47.2) rounded out the scoring for BU.

“I thought Lindsay was brave and got up there and got in the mix,” Capron said. “You look at where she was last year to this year, I think she’s probably cut her place in half. She ran great, Celia ran well, and Gabby held on. Sarah in her second race of the year was up there in our top five. And then Sophia really caught fire a little bit. I was really impressed with how she got in there and mixed it up.”

Iowa State won the men’s championship with a score of 34, well ahead of runner-up Oklahoma State at 58 points. On the women’s side, Oklahoma State edged Texas for the title with a score of 52 to 54.

Next up for Baylor is the NCAA South Central Regional Championship Nov. 15 in Fayetteville, Ark.

For updates on Baylor cross country throughout the season, follow @BaylorTrack on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Baylor Men’s Results
32. TJ Sugg - 24:55.5
39. Connor Laktasic - 25:09.1
53. Ryan Day - 25:45.0
56. Ryan Hodge - 25:55.3
65. Cal Johnston - 26:18.2

Baylor Women’s Results
32. Lindsay Walton - 21:47.6
42. Celia Holmes - 22:08.8
49. Gabby Satterlee - 22:15.1
51. Sarah Antrich - 22:21.1
57. Sophia Leidner - 22:47.2

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>