Baylor Baseball: No. 12 Baseball Drops Series Opener at No. 13 OSU

Caton, Rachel Rachel_Caton at baylor.edu
Thu May 16 23:26:40 CDT 2019

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 16, 2019

No. 12 Baseball Drops Series Opener at No. 13 OSU
The Bears and Pokes will meet for game two of the series at 6:35 p.m. CT on Friday, May 17
For more information contact: Rachel Caton, 254-652-2061, Rachel_Caton at baylor.edu<mailto:Rachel_Caton at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
STILLWATER, Okla. – No. 12 Baylor dropped the series opener at No. 13 Oklahoma State, 16-4, on Thursday evening at Allie P. Reynolds Stadium.

The Bears (33-14, 14-7) trailed early and were never able to recover. In uncharacteristic fashion, the Bears allowed the Pokes (31-17, 13-9) to score 13 runs on 10 hits as they took advantage of untimely errors to take a 13-0 lead through the first four frames as they scored four in the first, one in the second, five in the third and three in the fourth.

In a hole early, the Bears got on the board in the top of the fifth inning, scoring two runs with back-to-back two-out doubles by Nick Loftin and Richard Cunningham, making it a 13-2 ballgame.

The Cowboys answered back with two runs of their own in the bottom of the fifth inning to push their lead to 15-2.

In the sixth the Bears added two more runs as Cole Haring took home on a wild pitch and then freshman Ricky Martinez singled home another run to make it 15-4.

The Pokes added one more in the bottom of the seventh inning to make it 16-4, the score that would hold on through the top of the ninth.

At the plate, the Bears were led by Nick Loftin and Cole Haring, who each had three hits on the day, followed by Ricky Martinez, who had his second two-hit performance of his young career. Loftin, Martinez and Cunningham each drove in one run on the day, while the fourth run was scored by Haring on a wild pitch.

BU starter Paul Dickens took the loss to fall to 4-2 after allowing 10 runs (9 earned) on nine hits with three walks and four strikeouts through three innings. OSU starter Joe Lienhard took the win to improve to 3-1 on the year.

NOTES
*155 of Baylor's 342 total runs in 2019 have come with two outs, including all 4 of tonight’s runs.

*Richard Cunningham extended his hit streak to 19 games, a career high.

*Ricky Martinez tied his career-highs in hits (2) and RBIs (1) with a 2-for-4, 1 RBI night at the plate.

*Davion Downey has an eight-game on-base streak.

*Nick Loftin has a seven-game hit streak.

*Cole Haring has a seven-game hit streak, a season high.

*Logan Freeman made his seventh appearance of the year out of the bullpen.

*Blake Helton made his 13th appearance of the season and second appearance in as many games.

*Brooks Helmer made his sixth appearance of the year out of the pen, tossing a scoreless ninth.

STAT OF THE DAY
3 – Cole Haring and Nick Loftin led the Bears at the plate with three hits apiece, accounting for 6 of the Bears’ 9 hits on the day.

QUOTE OF THE DAY
On tonight’s game…

"We have played really well in all three facets of the game this year, but tonight we didn’t. You are going to have days like tonight and we need to learn from it, flush it and move on. We need to come out with extra energy tomorrow as we look to even the series.”
- Baylor head coach Steve Rodriguez

WHAT'S NEXT
Game two of the series at Oklahoma State is set for Friday, May 17 at 6:35 p.m. CT

For tickets to home games, visit: https://baylorbears.com/sports/2018/9/11/tickets.aspx. For updates on the program follow @baylorbaseball on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

-baylorbears.com-

Rachel Caton | Associate Sports Information Director

[cid:image001.png at 01D5070F.1E7C3CA0]<http://baylorbears.com/>