Baylor Track & Field: Madlock Records Historic Triple Jump

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 29 20:53:44 CDT 2019

Baylor Track & Field: Madlock Records Historic Triple Jump
Sophomore moves into the No. 2 spot on Baylor’s all-time performers list.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

AUSTIN, Texas – Alex Madlock made history Friday afternoon at the Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays, winning the triple jump with a mark of 45-3 to move into the No. 2 spot on the Baylor all-time outdoor performers list.

“It was a big day for Alex,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “I couldn’t be more proud for her. We were thinking that she might be in the B section earlier this week, and they moved her to the A. Thanks to the Texas management for making that call and putting her in the A section after the week she had last weekend. She took advantage of it, and that’s what you want to see athletes do.”

Madlock improved upon her personal best and No. 1 mark in the NCAA this season, and also took her place on the school’s all-time outdoor triple jump performances list at No. 4 behind three of coach Stacey Smith (Bowers)’ jumps. The sophomore from Bangs, Texas, moved past Jessica Ubanyionwu, Rachel Toliver, and Brianna Richardson to take sole possession of No. 2 on the all-time performers list, trailing only Smith.

“She stepped up,” Harbour said. “That’s a huge step up for her today. Consistency, six jumps on the board. She elevated herself to a new level today. She took a step last week, but it was huge. You can’t say enough. I think Coach (Stacey) Smith has done a great job with her and gotten her ready. She grew up today. She grew up big time. She can start thinking of herself as one of the best jumpers in the country. She beat some of the top girls. There are not enough words to cover it, really. Outstanding.”

In the final of the men’s 400-meter hurdles, Jayson Baldridge lowered his season-best time to 50.63 to finish in third place.

“Jayson Baldridge had a great night tonight,” Harbour said. “That was a big hurdle race for him. He’s going to do nothing but drop. That’s a good time this early for him. He’s still got a few things to work out, but he looked great”.

The Baylor men’s 4x100-meter relay of Ian Braxton, Isaiah Cunningham, Maxwell Willis and Kalon Barnes qualified for Saturday’s finals with a second-place finish in their first round heat, clocking in at 40.00 (fifth place overall).

In the women’s 4x100-meter relay, the Bears had a strong start but came up short after a mishandled exchange.

“The ladies 4x1 this morning was running great and they just had a rough exchange on the second one,” Harbour said. “They ran well. I was proud of them up to that point. I think they would have done some great things tomorrow. Our men looked really good. That was the first time we’d run it this year. To open it up that fast, that was a solid performance for them.”

Alyssa Miller had a personal-best day for the Bears, high jumping 5-9.25 to tie for fourth on Baylor’s all-time performers list (tied for eighth-best performance). The freshman from McKinney, Texas, placed fourth in the women’s high jump section B.

“That was a very solid performance for Alyssa,” Harbour said.

The Baylor men’s distance medley relay team of Jake Merrell, Chris Platt, Danny Leland, and Matt Henderson finished in seventh place with a time of 10:03.61.

“The DMR tonight was solid,” Harbour said. “Those guys ran really well. Matt Henderson had a big anchor. That was a PB for him on the end of it.”

Kennedy Bailey placed 12th in the 110-meter hurdles with a personal-best time of 13.44, Kalon Barnes took 10th in the 100 meters at 10.32, and Isaiah Cunningham placed 17th in the 100 meters with a personal-best 10.42.

“Both Kennedy and Isaiah, that just shows you how tough it is down here,” Harbour said. “You PB and still be a little bit short sometimes. Both of those guys had good, solid days. I thought Kalon did, as well, in the 100.”

In the women’s javelin, Megan SaxvanderWeyden placed seventh with a throw of 160-9 (49.00m).

“Megan had a solid day in the jav,” Harbour said. “It was a good throw for her. Not favorable wind conditions, but she had a good day.”

In high school action, Baylor signee Riley Floerke of Gregory-Portland competed in the girls’ pole vault section A and finished in second place with a jump of 13-6.

“Overall it’s been a really, really good day,” Harbour said. “We’ve had some really good things. Alex was definitely the highlight. To see that kind of performance - she’s come on the last two weeks, big time.”

The third and final day for Baylor at the Texas Relays begins Saturday with the women’s 4x800-meter relay at 10:40 a.m. CT. Live results from Mike A. Myers Stadium & Soccer Field can be found at ‪http://relays.texassports.com<http://relays.texassports.com/>. The meet will be televised on the Longhorn Network (full schedule/links below).

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

Texas Relays TV Schedule (Longhorn Network)
Saturday:
1:30 - 5:30 p.m. — http://www.espn.com/watch/_/id/3476456/2019-clyde-littlefield-texas-relays

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

[cid:image001.png at 01D3A0F8.B3ECA3C0]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>