Baylor Women’s Golf Finishes 11th at Northrop Grumman

Kaye, David David_Kaye at baylor.edu
Tue Feb 5 18:00:44 CST 2019

Complete results and statistics attached.

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 5, 2019

Baylor Women’s Golf Finishes 11th at Northrop Grumman
Bears placed ahead of four top-20 ranked teams
For more information contact: David Kaye, 254-709-5147, David_Kaye at baylor.edu<mailto:David_Kaye at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
PALOS VERDES, Calif. – Baylor women’s golf climbed two spots to finish in 11th place with a 54-hole total of 49-over-par 901 at the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge. The Bears shot 12-over 296 in Tuesday’s final round at Palos Verdes Golf Club.

No. 35 Baylor (+49) finished ahead of four top-20 ranked teams. The Bears earned head-to-head victories over No. 3 Florida (+52), No. 5 Alabama (+61), No. 8 Arizona State (+55), No. 20 Florida State (+51) and No. 42 Colorado (+65).

Seven of the 10 teams to finish ahead of BU entered the tournament top-20 ranked. No. 13 Stanford (+15) claimed the title, followed by No. 12 UCLA (+17), No. 1 USC (+19), No. 2 Texas (+23), No. 9 Arizona (+32), Oklahoma State (+32), No. 14 Wake Forest (+37), No. 26 Furman (+44), No. 19 Washington (+45) and Ohio State (+47).

Baylor was led by Diane Baillieux, who finished tied for 26th place individually with a team-best 10-over-par 223 after a final round of 2-over 73. Erica Chiang posted Baylor’s best final round at 1-over 72 and finished tied for 34th place at 12-over 225. Gurleen Kaur shot 2-over 73 in the final round to finish tied for 41st place at 13-over 226, while Maria Vesga posted BU’s last counting score in the final round at 7-over 78 and finished tied for 46th place at 14-over 227. Emma Bradley carded 12-over 83 to place 81st at 29-over 242.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Baylor finished tie for fourth in the 16-team field in par-5 scoring at even-par 5.00, 12th in par-4 scoring at 53-over 4.32 and tied for 13th in par-3 scoring at 25-over 3.42.
  *   Baylor’s 27 birdies tied for 10th-most in the tournament, and BU tied for 11th with 153 pars.
  *   Baillieux tied for the lead in the 84-player field in par-5 scoring at 4-under 4.56, while Chiang tied for eighth at 2-under 4.78.
  *   Baillieux tied for fifth in the field with nine birdies across 54 holes.
  *   Vesga led the team and tied for 20th in the tournament with 34 pars over 54 holes.

STAT OF THE DAY
9 – Baylor players combined for nine birdies on the back-9, including three apiece from Kaur and Baillieux, two from Chiang and one from Vesga.

TOP QUOTE
“This is as good or better than a national championship field, so any time you can go out there and beat a few teams in a field like this, it’s a good thing,” head coach Jay Goble said. “The thing that’s frustrating is that we should’ve finished in the lower half of the field. It’s a lot of rust, and everyone has rust right now, but we haven’t had a tournament in quite a while, and we made a lot of silly mistakes that we continued to compound and turn into more mistakes. We beat three top-10 teams, so that’s a silver lining. We’re going to have a competitive conference, and we have a great team, but we just need to clean some things up before our next event.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor has a nearly three-week break before returning to action Feb. 25-26 at the Icon Invitational at The Woodlands (Texas) Country Club. Follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.

David Kaye | Assistant AD for Communications

[/Users/david_kaye/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Outlook/Data/Library/Caches/Signatures/signature_256104326]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>