Baylor Track & Field Records Four Event Victories Saturday in Arkansas

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Fri Apr 26 21:34:43 CDT 2019

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 26, 2019

Baylor Track & Field Records Four Event Victories Saturday in Arkansas
KC Lightfoot jumped 18-5.25 (5.62m) to get the win in the pole vault.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

*COMPLETE RESULTS ATTACHED*

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Four Baylor athletes took home victories as Baylor Track & Field completed the first day of the National Relay Championships Saturday at John McDonnell Field.

“It was another solid day across the board,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “I thought KC (Lightfoot) had a great pole vault competition with Zach (Bradford of Kansas). Those are two of the best vaulters in the country. Any time those guys get together, it’s going to be spectacular. It was a good, solid day for KC.”

Lightfoot and Bradford, both freshmen, cleared 18-5.25 (5.62m) in the pole vault with Lightfoot taking home the victory with less misses than Bradford.

Wil London made it two-for-two in the 400 meters this outdoor season by clocking 45.25 for the win. Matthew Moorer (45.97) took fourth, while Howard Fields III (46.22) finished fifth.

“Wil got a W in the quarter,” Harbour said. “He looked very controlled and ran a really solid, controlled race. Matt Moorer in the quarter again, and Trey, all three of those guys ran well.”

Jayson Baldridge took home the gold in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 50.48.

“That was a good one for Jayson Baldridge,” Harbour said. “That’s close to his PB in the 400 hurdles. He’s starting to drop and come on now.”

In the 200 meters, Maxwell Willis took the title with a time of 20.89. He also placed fifth in the 100 meters (10.55), while Ian Braxton ran a personal-best time of 10.56 to finish sixth.

It was a career day for Leti De Souza and Morgan Stewart in the 800 meters. De Souza registered a PB for the second consecutive meet (2:05.50) to finish third, while Stewart clocked a personal-best 2:06.41 to place fourth.

“Leti and Morgan both got nice PBs by seconds in the 800, so that was a perfect day for the 800,” Harbour said.

Kennedy Bailey clocked 13.45 to take sixth in the 100-meter hurdles, while Sarah Yocum recorded a personal-best 13.86 to finish 11th.

Megan SaxvanderWeyden now has all 10 of Baylor’s all-time top javelin performances as she placed third Saturday with a throw of 157-8 (48.07m). K.C. Sullivan recorded a personal-best mark of 144-3 (43.96m) to finish fifth.

“We’re coming off of a huge home meet,” Harbour said. “It was very emotional with Coach Hart’s retirement at home. Getting them back up again this weekend is a little bit of a challenge, but I thought they did a good job. I thought they responded well.”

The National Relay Championships will conclude Saturday with four relay events (men & women) along with the high jump, triple jump, shot put, and women’s invitational pole vault.

“The weather is not supposed to be good tomorrow, so we’ll make some calls,” Harbour said. “We got a few nicked up today, so we’ll have to make some judgment calls on some of those relays tomorrow. But, it was overall a good day.”

Saturday’s action will be streamed live on the SEC Network during the two-hour relay-only window. The live stream can be found at  http://www.espn.com/watch/_/id/3489021/national-relay-championships. For live results, follow https://flashresults.com/.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

[cid:image001.png at 01D3A0F8.B3ECA3C0]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>