Baylor Postgame Quotes & Notes

Kyle M. Stephens Kyle.Stephens at utsa.edu
Sat Sep 8 23:04:27 CDT 2018

Baylor Postgame Quotes

Head Coach Matt Rhule
Opening …

First of all thank you guys for making the trip. I’m really proud of our football team, we found a way. We certainly weren’t perfect and certainly aren’t where we need to be but I’m really proud of a lot of guys for stepping up part as of our team. We gave up that touchdown right before the half, and I said, aren't we lucky with this happen to us, you know, just an opportunity to find out if we can battle back from adversity. Then we came out and I thought we were really good in the third quarter.

I want to give credit to UTSA – that’s a good football team. I like the way they play. They have edge, they’re tough, they’re big and they’re physical. They held us under 100 yards, which is unacceptable. They ran the football downhill and we knew that last week’s score was not indicative of who they are. Frank Wilson is a winner. But I’m also proud of our guys, we told them they were gonna play for 60 minutes – it didn’t matter if you’re up 50 or down 50, we’re gonna play to the last snap.

I loved the crowd. Credit to UTSA. I’m really proud that we had a great Baylor contingent, but boy was it ever loud in there. I mean, we had so many plays on offense that we gave away where we were confused and I’m talking in the headset and they can’t even hear the play call – those aren’t excuses, it’s just a credit to their crowd.

Q: It seemed like Charlie Brewer just kind of gave you whatever you needed, especially in the second half – can you talk about that?

HEAD COACH MATT RHULE: I thought he played well….last week it was Jalen in the second half, this week it was Charlie. To me the story was more about you know our ability to catch the football. If we catch the football just a little bit better then that's a that's a lot more yards throwing and maybe opens a few more things up.”

Q: Talk more about the crowd and environment tonight.

HEAD COACH MATT RHULE: To go into this sort of crowd is cool. I’ve had a chance to coach in college and the NFL and this was like one of the top three loudest places I’ve ever been. I kept going over to the official and asking if he was sure they weren’t pumping crowd noise in. I don’t know if it was our headset or something or it it was us, but I’m just saying credit to UTSA and what they did tonight.”

Q: Coach, on that play where you threw it back to Charlie – what was the thought there, was that kind of your version of the Philly Special?

HEAD COACH MATT RHULE: We ran that last year against Oklahoma State and it didn't work, and then we ran it against Kansas and I think it did work right so that's just something we kind of always have in. And you know that UTSA is in man-to-man and when you’re in man-to-man, the only guy you don’t have a man for is the quarterback. It’s just sort of play we knew we had there.

Q: Are you kind of to the point where you’re showing people that you’re not a runningback anymore? You had a chance on the one where they handed the ball off to you on the reverse, what was that like?

JALEN HURD: Yeah, I’m definitely not a runningback anymore. On that play it was my fault. I should have lined up better, but I messed up, I didn’t do my job correctly. It was a little awkward because of me.

Q: You guys are 2-0 now and it’s early in the season but what does this feel like?

JALEN HURD: It feels great. I mean, we could have and should have played a lot better than what we did, but I’m so happy that we’re 2-0. We have to keep pushing and working hard.

Q: What did you see on that touchdown pass to Mims?

CHARLIE BREWER: You know on that one right there, I just kind of throw it up and let him go get it. I threw it back shoulder and up high and just let him go get it.

Q: Are there things that you can take away from this week and use next week?
CHARLIE BREWER: Definitely. There’s a lot of things that we kind of missed on tonight, a lot of opportunities where we could have big big plays and we’re close to doing it. We shot ourselves in the foot a little but you know, we gotta get that corrected this week.

Q: What was the environment like for you here tonight?

CHARLIE BREWER: It was good – extremely loud. You couldn’t hear much at all. It got us one time for a fals start – but it was fine other than that.”

Q: When you drop a pass does it kind of throw you off your game or how do you bounce back from that?

DENZEL MIMS: Yeah, drops always bother me but I can’t let it take away from my game. I just gotta keep going and just go to the next play.”

Q: How impressive was it to you to have the offense kind of take over the game in the second half?

DENZEL MIMS: Yeah, I mean I knew we could do it. We knew coming into the second half that we had to keep fighting and try to finish the job. We didn’t want to slow down and realx – we just wanted to keep going.

Kyle Stephens
Associate AD/Communications
UTSA Athletics
One UTSA Circle