Baylor Athletics Unveils New Mission Statement

Kaye, David David_Kaye at baylor.edu
Fri Nov 30 09:57:24 CST 2018

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – November 30, 2018
Baylor Athletics Unveils New Mission Statement
Athletic department highlights commitment to Preparing Champions for Life with rollout of “One Standard. One Accord”
For more information contact: David Kaye, 254-709-5147, David_Kaye at baylor.edu<mailto:David_Kaye at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor University Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Mack Rhoades announced Friday the unveiling of a revised department mission statement, “One Standard. One Accord”, centered on the distinct purpose of Preparing Champions for Life through academic achievement, athletic success, spiritual growth and character formation.

Led by Senior Associate AD for Compliance, Chad Jackson, Rhoades assembled a team of individuals from various departments within athletics and on campus, who were tasked with defining the department’s mission, core values and operating principles.

“Through this process we sought to clearly define who we are as an athletics department - what we value and how we operate,” said Rhoades. “A strong mission should serve as a filter through which all decisions and actions are made, the cornerstone on which this department will move forward.”

“We began the process with simplicity in mind and yet at the same time we challenged our team to the notion – we have to get who we are,” said Jackson. “We first asked, what is it that we do?  The answer was simple in that Mack’s vision from day one has been that we prepare champions for life.”

The department’s ability to carry out the vision of Preparing Champions for Life hinges on a collective commitment to live by One Standard - to faithfully steward the authentic pursuit of competitive excellence through Christ. In upholding this standard, the department has committed to be in One Accord on six scripturally based operating principles and 18 associated core values.

  *   We will do our serviceable and personal best - Ecclesiastes 9:10
  *   Purpose | Perseverance | Preeminence

  *   We will commit to principled innovation - Romans 12:2
  *    Reflection | Aspiration | Advancement

  *   We will master fundamentals and pursue excellence - Ephesians 2:10
  *    Intent | Equip | Championships

  *   We will treat one another with dignity and respect - Colossians 3:12-14
  *    Service | Love | Truth

  *   We will welcome vulnerability and accountability - Psalm 139:23-24
  *    Inclusivity | Humility | Trust

  *   We will make all decisions in accordance with governing regulations - Galatians 6:9
  *   Virtue | Transparent | Vigilance

“Our commitment to ‘One Standard. One Accord’ guides us to operating at an elite level in all that we do,” said Rhoades.

David Kaye | Assistant AD for Communications

[/Users/david_kaye/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Outlook/Data/Library/Caches/Signatures/signature_1467647730]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>