[BAYLOR FOOTBALL] Baylor Football: Bears accept bid to Academy Sports + Outdoors Texas Bowl

Bryan, Taylor Taylor_Bryan at baylor.edu
Sun Dec 2 17:00:15 CST 2018

BAYLOR ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS – December 2, 2018

Football accepts bid to Academy Sports + Outdoors Texas Bowl
Bears to face Vanderbilt in program’s 24th bowl game all-time
For more information contact: Taylor Bryan, 254-709-4411, Taylor_Bryan at baylor.edu<mailto:Taylor_Bryan at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor football has accepted an invitation to play in the 13th annual Academy Sports + Outdoors Texas Bowl in Houston, Texas, and will face Vanderbilt from the Southeastern Conference. The game will be played on December 27, 2018 at 8 p.m. CT at NRG Stadium. It will be broadcast by ESPN.

“On behalf of all of Baylor Football we are excited to have the chance to go play in the Texas Bowl,” Baylor head coach Matt Rhule said. “It will be a tremendous opportunity for us to go into Houston and play in front of our family and friends. The older guys are excited to play one of their last games in Houston. We want to thank Academy and the Texas Bowl, and we also want to thank all of our family, friends and Baylor Nation who will travel to the game and support this team.”

In his second season as Baylor’s head coach, Rhule guided the Bears to a 6-6 record during the regular season, a FBS-leading increase of five victories over the previous year. It will be Baylor’s 24th bowl appearance and eighth in the last nine years. The Bears have a 12-11 record all-time in bowl games.

“Baylor Family, thank you for your continued support of our student-athletes,” Baylor Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Mack Rhoades IV said. “You’ve showed up, cheered loud and encouraged us throughout the season. Now they need you one more time. We’ll see you in Houston, Baylor Family!”

Current Bear Foundation Members and season ticket holders can request tickets now through their online ticket accounts. Tickets go on sale to the general public, Tuesday, December 4.

“We are thrilled to announce the 2018 Academy Sports + Outdoors Texas Bowl Big 12 representative Baylor University, an excellent institution,” remarked Board Chair June Deadrick.  “The Bowl has grown into one of the largest annual events in our community and we’re excited to welcome Baylor to Houston.  We look forward to hosting the Bears and their passionate fan base for a festive bowl week of Texas-themed events that will culminate in a primetime showdown at NRG Stadium on December 27.”

Baylor is making its second-ever appearance in the Texas Bowl after facing Illinois in 2010. The Bears have played in three other bowl games in Houston with berths in the Blue Bonnet Bowl in 1963, 1983 and 1986.

Vanderbilt is 6-6 on the year under fifth-year head coach Derek Mason. The Commodores are led by running back Ke’Shawn Vaughn, who has rushed for 1,001 yards and 10 touchdowns on the season, and quarterback Kyle Shurmur, who has 2,844 passing yards and 23 touchdowns in 2018.

The Bears have faced Vanderbilt twice, winning a 1953 matchup in Waco 47-6, and earning a 25-19 win in Nashville in 1954.

Baylor fans interested in travel packages for Baylor's trip to Houston for the 2018 Academy Sports + Outdoors Texas Bowl may sign up for information with Anthony Travel. Travel options will be sent via email from Baylor's travel partner as soon as they become available.

www.BaylorBears.com

Taylor Bryan | Director of Football Communications & Creative
C: 254-709-4411 | O: 254-710-3538

[cid:image001.png at 01D46AF7.295D8C50]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>