No. 3 TCU Tops No. 39 Baylor Men's Tennis in Big 12 Championships

Ingram, Brent Brent_Ingram at baylor.edu
Fri Apr 19 15:51:33 CDT 2024

BAYLOR ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS – April 19, 2024

No. 3 TCU Tops No. 39 Baylor MT in Big 12 Championships
Bears Await NCAA Tournament Selection on April 29

For more information contact: Colin Pirtle; 940-564-0351, colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu<mailto:colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu>

STILLWATER, Okla. –  No. 3 TCU, the three seed, earned a 4-1 win over No. 39 Baylor men’s tennis, the six seed, in the first round of the 2024 Big 12 Championships on Friday afternoon, hosted by Oklahoma State at Greenwood Tennis Center.

Baylor (18-11) fell vs. TCU (20-3) as the Horned Frogs rallied after losing the doubles point to secure the win with results on courts one, three, five and six.

“We did a pretty good job getting started in doubles,” Coach Michael Woodson said. “We did a good job of battling there at No. 1 doubles, and at two and three we played within ourselves, stuck to our game styes and won some good points with good poise. Going into singles we got up a break on four courts and had some really good momentum that we weren’t able to sustain. We had multiple three setters and we were very much in a position to win. We weren’t able to run away with any sets, really had some tight matches with our backs against the wall, and they did have some efficient wins, which makes a big difference in college tennis. Credit to TCU, they really battled well today.”

Baylor posted the doubles win on courts two and three. After No. 33 Tadeas Paroulek and Zsombor Velcz fell 7-5 on court one to Jack Pinnington and Pedro Vives, Devin Badenhorst and Oskar Brostrom combined for a 7-6 (7-2) win and Louis Bowden and Christopher Frantzen earned a 6-3 win on court three.

No. 72 Lui Maxted rallied past No. 113 Badenhorst on court three to open singles, with Maxted erasing a 4-1 hole in set one for a 6-4, 6-2 win.

Court five saw TCU take a 2-1 lead, as Tomas Jirousek used a strong first set, 6-2 but Brostrom Poulsen rallied to even the second set at 5-5 before Jirousek managed to clinch the point with a 7-6 (7-5) win in the tiebreaker.

The TCU lead grew to 3-1 after a court six, three-set win from freshman Julian Alonso, 2-6, 6-4, 6-2 over Marko Miladinovic.

Court one clinched the match for TCU, as No. 8 Jake Fearnley rallied from a first-set loss to beat No. 80 Velcz, 6-7 (7-4), 6-2, 6-3.

On court two, No. 66 Paroulek was in a third set with No. 55 Pedro Vines, even at 2-2 after splitting the first two sets, 6-7 (7-4), 6-3.

Bowden was on the verge of taking the third set to clinch the point on court four, up 5-3, after splitting the first two, 6-3, 2-6.

“Our guys are moving in the right direction and I’m really looking forward to the next couple weeks to get us ready for NCAAs and am very hopeful we can make a run there,” Woodson said.

Baylor will return to action with potential NCAA Tournament selection, with the selection show on April 29 and the first and second rounds, hosted by campus sites, on May 3-4.

- BaylorBears.com -

--
Brent Ingram | Assistant AD for Communications
Men’s Tennis Sport Program Administrator