No. 18 Baylor VB Cranked Out Five-Set Win Over No. 19 Ohio State

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Fri Sep 15 23:58:58 CDT 2023

Media Materials Folder<https://baylor.box.com/s/69uadxyf8kd8n6jjvx8okg8lvl7f7e1a>
BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Sep. 15, 2023

No. 18 Baylor VB Cranked Out Five-Set Win Over No. 19 Ohio State
Bears overcame Buckeyes in Ferrell on White Out night

For more information contact: Madelon Allen; 254-252-7168, madelon_allen at baylor.edu<mailto:madelon_allen at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – The 18th-ranked Baylor volleyball team outlasted No. 19 Ohio State on Friday night at the Ferrell Center, winning 3-2.

BU (5-4) overcame OSU (3-6) in five sets on White Out night to extend the Buckeyes’ loss streak to six.

A strong start for the Bears was too much for the Buckeyes as they won the first set 25-22 and the second set 25-19. The Buckeyes would fight back and take the third set 25-18 and the fourth set in a close 25-23 score, but ultimately BU and the homecourt advantage was too much for Ohio State and took the fifth set 15-8.

The Bears were led by Elise McGhee, collecting 19 kills and in her fourth game this season getting double digit kill totals. Lauren Briseño had 18 digs in back-to-back matches and Manuela Bibinbe had five blocks to lead the team.

THE RUNDOWN

Set 1

Kyndal Stowers started this match off hot again securing two of Baylor’s first three points and taking an early 3-1 lead. The Bears continued to push the lead to 6-2 with the help of a Bibinbe kill and Stowers ace. OSU fought back to tie the game 6-6 but the Bears responded quickly with a block by McGhee, followed by a huge kill by Allie Sczech. A thread of attacking errors led to the Bears getting ahead at 11-6.  The Buckeyes continued to battle back and keep things close, but an impressive dig from Briseño led to a powerful McGhee kill to make the score 12-8. Right after, Alicia Andrew came on and provided a powerful kill herself. Stowers was able to win a joust at the net to make the score 14-9. A long succession of attacking plays from the Buckeyes led to only a 19-18 lead by the Bears. Andrew once again came in and had back-to-back kills, her first being off the hit of an OSU player and the other being a powerful spike. The set ended with a McGhee kill to secure the first set victory with a score of 25-20.

Set 2

Stowers got the set started once again with a kill, but Ohio State matched hers quickly. Andrew got a kill before Stowers started a run, joined by Carlson and going up 7-2 with an ace from Sczech, leading OSU to call timeout. The Buckeyes got a kill out of the Break but Bibinbe copied it. Stowers and McGhee made it 10-4 before Andrew got a kill, which led Carlson to go back to serve. She produced back-to-back aces, followed by an attack error from OSU and a McGhee kill. Ohio State would use their second timeout of the set, the score now 15-5. Sczech tooled the block, the score now 17-7, and she’d sandwich a kill from OSU with Stowers. The Buckeyes would stay in step with the Bears, just 10 points behind as they climbed. Ohio State went on a run beginning with a Lauren Murphy kill at 20-11 and finishing after Baylor called timeout at 21-16. McGhee killed the run, but OSU would throw down two kills before Sczech and Andrew teamed up for the block. It was then Bibinbe and Sczech who blocked again, only to be challenged by the Buckeyes on the call. It was unsuccessful and the score was confirmed, 24-18. OSU would stave off set point just once before Bibinbe shut the door with a kill, 25-19.

Set 3

The third set began with multiple service errors from both sides with the Buckeyes taking an early edge up 6-2. After a timeout by Baylor, the Bears would come out striking with a pair of kills coming from Bibinbe then followed by McGhee with a huge hit for a kill. This would help Baylor cut the lead to 8-6. Two attacking errors from the Buckeyes would lead to the set being tied at 8-8 before McGhee got a kill to give the Bears the lead for the first time this set, 9-8. Coming out of a timeout by Ohio State, BU head coach Ryan McGuyre used a challenge card but the call stood. McGhee and Andrew paired up for an block to get the set back to one point, at 11-10. The following point, Briseño had an acrobatic dig for the Bears and the momentum shifted in their favor as the Ferrell Center erupted after a kill by Stowers, tying the set at 13-13. A string of kills by the Buckeyes and attacking errors from the Bears caused the lead to slip, and Ohio State led 21-17 coming out of Baylor’s timeout. McGhee had three kills late in the set, but it was not enough for BU, falling 25-18.

Set 4

The fourth set started with the Buckeyes taking an early 3-1 lead. A string of four-straight combined errors from both teams led to a 7-3 score with the Buckeyes leading. Sczech had a powerful kill to make it 7-4 with the Buckeyes on top, but the OSU would go on to record four points in a row to make it 11-4 when the Bears called a timeout. BU would fight back thanks to kills from Bibinbe and McGhee making it 13-7 and 15-9, respectively. A double hit was called on OSU and then an unforced error for the Buckeyes forced them to call a timeout while still leading 15-11. After a kill from Ohio State after their timeout, McGhee came back firing with a kill and Stowers followed with a kill of her own to make it 16-13. Stowers continued to cause havoc with another kill to make it 17-14. Bibinbe got herself another kill and McGhee followed suit by unloading a massive kill for the Bears to draw them to within one point at 18-19, forcing OSU to call a timeout. McGhee’s dominant performance this set continued by getting two more kills, a block, and an ace to make the score 23-24 with the Buckeyes leading heading into set point. A service error from BU led to Ohio State taking the set with a score of 25-23.

Set 5

The fifth and final set of the match found the Bears catching fire with three-straight points to start the set. Stowers got the kill party started with an assist coming from Carlson, followed by Bibinbe and Sczech getting their own. Stowers stayed hot and got another kill for the Bears followed by an assisted block with Bibinbe to make it 5-1 which caused OSU to call a timeout. A successful challenge call from Coach McGuyre led the Bears to take a 7-2 lead. The Buckeyes fought back with a pair of kills but McGhee stopped their run with a huge kill to make it 9-5. Andrew recorded her ninth kill on the night, a career high, to make it 10-6 Bears. The momentum would carry on for BU as Stowers recorded two huge kills to make it 14-8. Bibinbe would bring it home for Baylor with a powerful spike to send the Buckeyes packing with a final score of 15-8 for the set.

QUOTABLE – Head coach Ryan McGuyre

“Sometimes it’s a real tough situation, to be up 2-0 and let the other team come back into it. So I thought it was really good to respond and play some cleaner volleyball in that fifth set. A little bit of momentum at the end of the fourth set carried over. The crowd tonight was huge, I think that’s a difference-maker for us. Right now, we know us at our best is really, really good. We had 12 kills, one error, hitting .647 and siding out at 88% in that fifth set. That’s what we’re capable of. We just have to train in a way that we can make that more consistent so we don’t open up the doors for other teams. Ohio State’s a good program, great team. They’ll be a top-ranked tournament team also, we’re kind of in the same boat with some younger players and making some adjustments. I liked the swings we were able to hit. I thought Manuela was really huge again, that’s two nights in a row, back-to-back hitting at a super high clip for us. Middles at .444 and .647 [hitting percentage] so I like what we’re doing there. I think if our serving game can maintain how we start in the first two sets in the rest of the match, that makes our defense a lot easier.”

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   It was the Bears’ “white out” match in Ferrell, with 2,004 fans in attendance
  *   This was the first program meeting between Ohio State and Baylor
  *   BU lengthened OSU’s loss streak to six
  *   It was the Bears’ second top-20 match in a row
  *   Andrew set a career high in kills at 9
  *   Briseño led both teams with 18 digs, her second match in a row with that amount

UP NEXT

The Bears will be at the Ferrell Center again for an in-state match up against Stephen F. Austin on Tuesday, September 19th at 6 p.m.

To stay up to date all year long on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVBall.

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications
VB, A&T, BaylorBears.com