No. 12 Baylor WGOLF Settles in 11th after Round Two of the Annika Intercollegiate

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Tue Sep 12 17:53:22 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Sept. 12, 2023

No. 12 Baylor WGOLF Settles in 11th after Round Two of the Annika Intercollegiate
BU’s Rosie Belsham and Silje Ohma card 2-over 74s to pace the Bears
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

LAKE ELMO, Minn. – With a 13-over 301, Baylor women’s golf moved to 11th place in the second round of the Annika Intercollegiate at Royal Golf Club on Tuesday.

With the course playing more difficult than round one, Rosie Belsham and Silje Ohma each carded 2-over 74s to lead the way for BU on Tuesday.

Wake Forest closed the gap on South Carolina for the team lead, but the Gamecocks still hold a three-shot advantage over the Demon Deacons. Wake’s Mimi Rhodes and South Carolina’s Maylis Lamoure lead by a shot over five other players entering the final round.

THE RUNDOWN
With her 74 on Tuesday, Belsham sits at even par in a tie for 30th place. After playing her first six holes at 5-over par, the senior settled in with a birdie at No. 9 to get one stroke back before the turn. Belsham continued her strong play on the inward half with a bogey-free 34, highlighted by a pair of birdies at Nos. 11 and 18.

Ohma stands in a tie for 46th with 18 holes to play. She started strong with two birdies in her first four holes, but a bogey at No. 3 and a triple-bogey at No. 5 knocked her back to 2-over on the round. She closed the front nine strong with a birdie at No. 9 and played the back nine mostly clean, with just one bogey coming at No. 13.

Despite being a bit under the weather, Ashleen Kaur leads the way for the Bears in the individual standings, currently in a tie for 26th at 1-under for the event. After three pars to start, Kaur made back-to-back bogeys at Nos. 4 and 5, but got one shot back with a birdie at No. 7 to make the turn at 1-over. Kaur made a double bogey to open the back nine and added another bogey at No. 13, before carding a birdie at No. 14. Her final bogey of the day came at No. 17, but she followed it up with a birdie at No. 18 to finish on a high note.

Sera Hasegawa is tied for 54th after two rounds in the wake of a 5-over 77 in the second round. The junior bogeyed three of her first six holes to make the turn with a 3-over 39. Following her first birdie of the day at No. 11, Hasegawa bogeyed four of the next five holes but bounced back with a birdie to finish at No. 18.

BaiMai Seema shot a 7-over 79 on Tuesday to settle into a tie for 58th. The junior carded three straight pars to open her round, but ran into a bogey at No. 4 and a double bogey at No. 5 ahead of a birdie at No. 7 to make the turn with a 2-over 38. Following another double-bogey at No. 10, Seema finished her round with bogeys at Nos. 13, 16 and 17.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Rosie Belsham played her final 12 holes at 3-under par.
  *   Belsham is tied for the third-best par-5 scoring average.
  *   Ashleen Kaur played her final five holes at 1-under par.
  *   Belsham, Kaur and Sera Hasegawa all birdied the 18th hole.
  *   Silje Ohma is tied for the second-best par-3 scoring average.

QUOTABLE:
Head coach Jay Goble: “I’m not going to make excuses, but we have a team of players who have not played a competitive round in over a month and a half. On top of that, Minnesota in September and Waco in September are worlds apart when it comes to playing conditions, grasses and greens, and we just had a bad day. We couldn't get anything going today, and that gets magnified when you are playing against a loaded field like this one. We will put this round behind us, though, because I feel like we are a great team. One day does not define who we are as a team, and once we all start clicking, this team is capable of some special things."

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor will play in the final round on Wednesday morning alongside Minnesota and Mississippi State beginning at 9:25 a.m. with BaiMai Seema. Sera Hasegawa will follow at 9:35 a.m., ahead of SIlje Ohma at 9:45 a.m. Rosie Belsham will take the penultimate tee time at 9:55 a.m., with Ashleen Kaur taking the anchor position at 10:05 a.m.

Live scores and stats can be found at Golfstat.com.<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=28146> For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

—BaylorBears.com—

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MBB/MGOLF/ WGOLF)