No. 12 Baylor WGOLF Set for Season-Opening Annika Intercollegiate

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Sun Sep 10 11:33:00 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Sept. 10, 2023

No. 12 Baylor WGOLF Set for Season-Opening Annika Intercollegiate
The Bears are one of 10 top-25 teams in the prestigious field
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

LAKE ELMO, Minn. – Baylor women’s golf will face one of the best fields of the regular season when the Bears open the prestigious Annika Intercollegiate on Monday morning at Royal Golf Club.

BU is one of nine teams ranked in the preseason top-15 that will tee it up in Lake Elmo on Monday. Head coach Jay Goble is excited to be a part of this event and looks forward to seeing his team tested from the opening tee shot this season.

“We are thrilled to be a part of this elite field at the Annika Intercollegiate,” Goble said. “Annika Sorenstam is an incredible ambassador for the women’s game, and events like this will only continue to grow our sport. We expect to put ourselves in the conversation with the best teams in the country as we compete for a national championship, and there’s not a better way to do that than competing against a field like this one to start the season.”

All-American Rosie Belsham will open the season at the No. 1 position, aiming to put a bow on one of the most decorated careers in program history.

“If you look at our record books, her name is everywhere,” Goble said. “She has the second-best stroke average, is among the leaders in top-5s and top-10s and played in every tournament she has been eligible for. Her win last year came against a loaded field in Mexico, so when the lights are bright, she’s usually at her best. I’m looking forward to watching her compete this week and all season.”

>From capping a bright career to one on the rise, sophomore All-American Silje Ohma will take the No. 2 spot. Ohma is coming off a season where she set the freshman stroke-average record at 71.90.

Baylor’s third returning All-American, Sera Hasegawa, will play at No. 3. In addition to setting the program’s single season stroke-average record, the junior transfer led the Bears in rounds at par-or-better, par-3 scoring average and par-4 scoring average.

BaiMai Seema will play out of the No. 4 position. The junior improved her stroke average by nearly three shots last year, while leading the team with 93.3% of her scores counting toward the team’s score.

Freshman Ashleen Kaur will make her debut at No. 5. Her decorated junior career included a win at the Annika Junior Invitational back in January.

“For Ashleen to win the Annika at the junior level and make her first career start against this field a few months later is a cool full-circle moment for her,” Goble said. “We expect her to help us get to where we want to go this season.”

Once available, tee times, live scoring and stats can be found at GolfStat.com.<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=28146>

For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

—BaylorBears.com—

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MBB/MGOLF/ WGOLF)