Baylor WGOLF Dominates Day Two at The Rainbow Wahine Invitational

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Tue Oct 24 21:39:12 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS- Oct. 24, 2023

Baylor WGOLF Dominates Day Two at The Rainbow Wahine Invitational
BU builds an 11-shot lead entering the final round
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

KAPOLEI, Hawaii – Baylor women’s golf increased its lead by 10 shots on Tuesday at the Rainbow Wahine Invitational, carding a 4-under 284 at Kapolei Golf Course.

Rosie Belsham used a 2-under 70 to take hold of the individual lead by two shots through 36 holes. Freshman Yoonjeong Huh is close behind her teammate and tied for 4th at 1-under 143 through two rounds.

The Bears are 11 shots better than second-place New Mexico State and 19 shots clear of third-place UC Davis. Belsham is one of five Bears in the top-11 and six in the top-20 through 36 holes.

THE RUNDOWN
Belsham made an early bogey at No. 2 but added birdies at Nos. 3 and 8 to make the turn in red figures. She added two more birdies on the back nine on Nos. 12 and 17, before closing with a bogey at No. 18. The senior led the Bears for the second day in a row and sits in first place individually.

Yoonjeong Huh sits just four strokes behind Belsham in a tie for fourth. Starting on No. 2, the freshman went out with nine straight pars. Her first blemish came with a bogey on No. 11, but she claimed back-to-back birdies on Nos. 13 and 14 to push into red figures for the first time. A bogey at No. 15 was quickly erased with a birdie on No. 16 to close out the round on a high note.

Like Belsham, Sera Hasegawa carded an early bogey at No. 1, but recovered with two birdies at Nos. 2 and 6. On the back nine, the junior made seven pars around a pair of bogeys at Nos. 12 and 17.

Baylor’s Britta Snyder recorded a bogey-free 70 with birdies at Nos. 9 and 10. Her second-round score allowed her to ascend 12 places in the individual standings and finish the day tied for 11.

Ashleen Kaur’s 1-over 74 moved her into a tie for 19th through two rounds. Starting on No. 3, the freshman picked up two birdies at Nos. 4 and 7. Bogeys at Nos. 10 and 16 dropped her back to even for the day. A birdie at No. 17 put her back in red figures before bogeys at Nos. 18 and 1 put her back over par for the day.

BaiMai Seema continued her strong play to lead the individuals, carding a second-straight even-par 72 to climb into a tie for 11th. Hannah Herbel finished the day in a tie for 81st on the heels of a 9-over 81, while Mallory Matthews is tied for 84th after an 8-over 80.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Baylor leads the teams in par-3 (3.05), par-4 (3.97) and par-5 (4.93) scoring averages.
  *   The Bears have 31 birdies, most in the tournament.
  *   Belsham is second individually for par-3 scoring average (2.63).
  *   Snyder carded her best round of the season for a second straight day.
  *   Snyder’s bogey-free 70 is her first round at par or better since the second round of the Pullman Regional last season.
  *   Yoonjeong Huh carded her second straight round at par or better.
  *   BaiMai Seema’s even-par 144 is the best 36-hole score of her career.

QUOTABLE:
Head coach Jay Goble — “I was really proud of how we came out today and put the pedal down. We have five of the top-11 and six of the top-20 right now on the leaderboard, which makes a pretty strong statement. Rosie [Belsham] obviously has played really well to hold the 36-hole lead, but Amy [Huh] is right there also, along with a handful of her teammates, so I think if we come out tomorrow and take care of our business, we'll have a chance to have a lot of green and gold at the top of this leaderboard again."

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor will begin the final round tomorrow at 2 p.m. CT, grouped with New Mexico State, UC Davis and CSU Fullerton. Live scoring and stats can be found on Golfstat.com<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=28332>.

For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on X, Instagram and Facebook.

—BaylorBears.com—

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MBB/MGOLF/ WGOLF)