No. 8 Baylor Equestrian Falls Short in Conference Opener

Smith, Kalie Kalie_Smith1 at baylor.edu
Fri Oct 13 18:55:04 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 13, 2023

No. 8 Baylor Equestrian Falls Short in Conference Opener
Bears find momentum in Jumping Seat but fall short in Western
For more information contact: Kalie Smith, 409-351-0790, Kalie_Smith1 at baylor.edu<mailto:Kalie_Smith1 at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – No. 8 Baylor (0-3, 0-1) dropped a tight contest, 10-8, to No. 5 Oklahoma State (1-1, 1-1) Friday afternoon at the Willis Family Equestrian Center.

BU split events in the first half to enter the break level with OSU. The Bears jumped to a lead behind strong Flat rides but came up just short in Reining.

Baylor took its first Fences win of the season, 3-1. Emma Covarrubias (81), Madison Mitchell (85) and Maddie Vorhies (83) added to the tally. Covarrubias’ 81-ride marks her first-career point. Mitchell received her first Most Outstanding Performer (MOP) nod of the season.

Over in the Western arena, Alexis Rutledge (75.5) collected BU’s sole point in Horsemanship on her way to MOP honors. Bella Rosa scored a career-high 77 to tie her point and the score headed into the break.

The Bears continued the momentum in Jumping Seat, claiming Flat 3-2. Lauren Jorgensen (85), Mitchell (85) and Lauren Reid (82) captured the first lead of the season.

After two error rides from BU, OSU bagged Reining and the meet. Rylee Butler (68) scored Baylor’s singular point in Reining.

NOTABLES

  *   Baylor moves to 13-36 against Oklahoma State all-time.
  *   BU Jumping Seat claimed its first event wins of the season.
  *   Emma Covarrubias (Fences) made her collegiate debut.
  *   Covarrubias (Fences) scored her first-career point.
  *   Madison Mitchell (Fences) earned her first MOP honors of the season.
  *   Bella Rosa (Horsemanship) set a new career-high with a 77.
  *   Alexis Rutledge (Horsemanship) picked up her first MOP nod of the season.
  *   Carley Rutledge (Horsemanship) made her collegiate debut.

STAT OF THE MEET
7- Seven Bears opened conference play with a win, including Rylee Butler (Reining), Emma Covarrubias (Fences), Lauren Jorgensen (Flat), Madison Mitchell (Fences & Flat), Lauren Reid (Flat), Alexis Rutledge (Horsemanship) and Maddie Vorhies (Fences).

TOP QUOTES
Head Coach Casie Maxwell
On today’s meet…
“I’m proud of the team’s overall effort today. They came out swinging. We were within reach of beating a tough Oklahoma State today. Our team came to play. I’m proud of the mentality and the energy they put forward. Jumping Seat turning it around after the first two meets was amazing. Hopefully that’s a huge confidence boost for them. We needed to do our part on the Western side, be a little stronger, but we’ll get there. We’re very close. This team has to keep its confidence up because we’ve made big strides every single weekend. We’ll take a little break, refresh, and see if we can finish stronger in November.”

WHAT’S NEXT
No. 8 Baylor (0-3, 0-1) will take a couple weeks off before continuing its conference campaign against Fresno State (0-2) on Thursday, Nov. 2 at the Willis Family Equestrian Center.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

-BaylorBears.com-

Kalie Smith | Communications Coordinator (Equestrian)