Baylor Approved to Host Fall 2024 NCAA Tennis Singles and Doubles Championships

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Tue Aug 22 09:44:02 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Aug. 22, 2023

Baylor Approved to Host Fall 2024 NCAA Tennis Singles and Doubles Championships
Waco welcomes first-ever fall individual championships
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle; 940-564-0351, colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu<mailto:colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor University has been approved to host the pilot fall singles and doubles championships, released by the NCAA DI Competition Oversight Committee meeting report.

After being held after the team championship each spring, the singles and doubles championships will play out as their own events during the fall semester for the first time in 2024. With Baylor already playing host to the team championships in May 2025<https://baylorbears.com/news/2020/10/14/mens-tennis-baylor-waco-selected-to-host-2025-ncaa-mens-womens-championships>, the Bears will now welcome the nation’s top players to Waco twice in the 2024-25 academic year.

“What an incredible opportunity for the City of Waco and Baylor University to be the first-ever host of the NCAA Fall Individual Championships in addition to the team event already scheduled for May 2025,” said Baylor men’s tennis head coach Michael Woodson. “I want to thank (Baylor VP and Director of Athletics) Mack Rhoades and his incredible staff for all of their efforts and commitment to excellence in all aspects of the athletic department. The NCAA choosing to bring the nation’s best here to our campus is a testament to the quality of our facilities, the dedication of our athletic department and the rich history of our tennis programs. We cannot wait for what will certainly be a historic 2024-2025 school year.”

Between the men’s and women’s programs, three Bears have hoisted an NCAA singles champion trophy, with Benedikt Dorsch being Baylor’s first individual tennis champion in 2004, followed by Zuzana Zemenova and Benjamin Becker sweeping the titles in 2005.

“We're thrilled to be selected as the host for the NCAA individual championships next fall,” said Baylor women’s tennis head coach Joey Scrivano. “The 2024-25 season will be a special one for the Baylor and Waco communities as we host both this event, followed by the NCAA Tennis Championships in the spring. This selection is a testament to our dedicated team and the incredible support we receive. We can't wait to showcase our passion for the sport and create an unforgettable experience for all the participants.”

The 2024 individual championships are set for Nov. 19-24, 2024, while the team tournaments will be held May 15-24, 2025.

- BaylorBears.com -

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F/XC, MTEN, FB)