Baylor Baseball Swept by No. 17 West Virginia

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sun Apr 30 15:59:04 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 30, 2023

Baylor Baseball Swept by No. 17 West Virginia
Four Bears drive in runs as Mountaineers pull away late

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball (15-29, 6-15) took an 18-4 loss on Sunday at Baylor Ballpark to No. 17 West Virginia (33-11, 11-4) as the Mountaineers completed the weekend sweep.

Four different Bears picked up RBIs in the defeat. Junior RHP/OF Cole Tremain tied his season high with three hits, while sophomore C Cortlan Castle notched his seventh multi-hit game of the year.

THE RUNDOWN
WVU put up a quick three-spot in the top of the first, but BU climbed back within a run with a pair in the bottom of the second. Two walks and a single by Tremain loaded the bases, then Castle drove in a run on a fielder’s choice. After another walk, freshman OF Caleb Bergman reached on a run-scoring fielder’s choice to make it 3-2.

A two-run home run in the top of the third extended the Mountaineer lead, but once again the Bears responded with two of their own in the bottom of the fourth. Junior INF/OF Daniel Altman’s sacrifice fly preceded sophomore INF Hunter Teplanszky’s RBI single, as BU pulled it back to 5-4.

However, WVU would add on with back-to-back solo big flies in the top of the fifth, then plated a run on a Baylor error in the seventh before breaking it open. The Mountaineers scored five runs in each of the last two frames to pull away and finish off the series sweep.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor fell to 14-17 all-time against West Virginia and 2-11 against ranked opponents this season.
• Sophomore C Cortlan Castle recorded his fifth two-hit game and seventh overall multi-hit effort of 2023.
• Junior RHP/OF Cole Tremain notched his sixth mutli-hit game of the year and tied a season high with three hits.
• Junior RHP Anderson Needham matched his season best with four strikeouts on the afternoon.

STAT OF THE DAY
4 – Baylor scored four runs on four different Bears’ RBIs.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Mitch Thompson
On his outlook moving forward…
“We have Tuesday and Wednesday and then we take on TCU in our last conference series. We’ve got to figure out how to turn this thing around and it’s on every one of us as coaches and as a team to step back up and do what is necessary. There’s been plenty of times this season when we’ve played really hard and really well, but this weekend was not out best. And I think West Virginia has a lot to do with that. I give them credit; they continued to put pressure on us and they didn’t give us many free bases or extra opportunities.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (15-29) gets set for a couple of midweek games against Abilene Christian (26-16) on Tuesday, May 2, in Abilene, then hosts Texas A&M–Corpus Christi (19-23) on Wednesday, May 3, at Baylor Ballpark in Waco.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)