Baylor Baseball Quieted by No. 13 Texas Tech in Series Opener

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri Apr 21 22:01:39 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 21, 2023

Baylor Baseball Quieted by No. 13 Texas Tech in Series Opener
Posey’s ninth-inning homer helps Bears avoid shutout in 10-1 loss

LUBBOCK, Texas – Baylor baseball (14-24, 5-11) dropped its series opener at No. 13 Texas Tech (28-12, 7-6) by a final of 10-1 Friday night at Rip Griffin Park in Lubbock.

The Bears were held quiet by Tech’s Mason Molina, who went seven scoreless innings on the mound with a career-high 12 strikeouts. Junior INF/OF Cole Posey’s solo home run in the top of the ninth helped BU avoid being shutout for the first time this season.

THE RUNDOWN
The Red Raiders hit their first of three home runs on the night in the bottom of the first inning, a solo shot to open the scoring, then added another tally in the third to take a 2-0 lead.

In the fourth, TTU opened it up with a six-spot, thanks in part to a three-run home run, then plated one more in the sixth to make it 9-0.

Tech’s Gavin Kash hit his 20th home run of the season in the bottom of the eighth, extending the lead to 10-0, before Posey left the yard to prevent the shutout in the top of the ninth.

The Bears got three solid innings out of starter Blake Helton before Tech’s offense broke out. Freshman LHP Ethan Calder ate up 3.1 frames and allowed two runs before junior righty Adam Muirhead got the final four outs.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Freshman C Walker Polk extended his on-base streak to nine games.
• Freshman INF Kolby Branch extended his on-base streak to seven games.
• Junior INF/OF Cole Posey extended his on-base streak to six games with his second home run of the year.
• Freshman LHP Ethan Calder worked his fourth outing of at least three innings of relief.

STAT OF THE GAME
3 – The Bears had just three hits, a season low.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Mitch Thompson
On tonight’s game…
“I think Mason Molina was really good. He kept us off balance and made us look bad at times at the plate. I give him a lot of credit. I think we can do a better job [with our competitiveness] and their offense took advantage of mistakes. We’re gonna have to put this one behind us as fast as we can and show back up here tomorrow ready to compete.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Due to forecasted inclement weather in Lubbock on Sunday, the Bears (14-24, 5-11) and Red Raiders (28-12, 7-6) will play a doubleheader on Saturday, April 22, beginning at Noon.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)