Baylor Baseball Quieted in 6-3 Loss to Oklahoma

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri Apr 7 23:43:11 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 7, 2023

Baylor Baseball Quieted in 6-3 Loss to Oklahoma
Sooners even the series holding Bears to just three runs on four hits

WACO, Texas – In a game that lasted nearly three hours and 40 minutes and had a combined 23 runners left on base, 18 walks and six errors, Baylor baseball (11-20, 3-8) dropped a 6-3 contest to Oklahoma (17-15, 3-5) Friday night at Baylor Ballpark in Waco.

OU held the Bears to just three runs on four hits, but committed four errors to allow BU to hang around. However, Baylor walked a season-high 14 batters, a program record in a Big 12 game, including four with the bases loaded.

Junior INF/OF Cole Posey stayed hot with another two-hit night and drove in a run to lead the charge offensively and extend his hit streak to 15 games. On the mound, junior RHP Grant Golomb pitched a scoreless final two frames to keep BU within striking distance.

THE RUNDOWN
It was a pitcher’s duel early on as Baylor’s sophomore RHP Mason Marriott and Oklahoma’s James Hitt matched each other zero for zero through the first four innings.

The Sooners struck first in the top of the fifth as Marriott narrowly missed the zone on a 3-2 pitch to load the bases, then allowed a run with another full count walk a batter later. In the sixth, walks continued to be the issue as OU made use of four free passes in the inning to score a pair of runs and take a 3-0 lead.

BU got on the board in the bottom of the sixth after freshman OF Caleb Bergman walked and later scored on freshman INF Kolby Branch’s sacrifice fly, cutting the deficit to 3-1. However, a two-run single and one more bases-loaded walk plated three runs for the Sooners in the top of the seventh to remain in front at 6-1.

In the bottom half of the seventh, sophomore 1B John Ceccoli reached on a two-base error and later crossed the plate on a wild pitch for Baylor’s second run of the game.

Then in the ninth, Posey picked up a two-out RBI single to score freshman C Walker Polk, but that would be all for the Bears as OU evened the series.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Sophomore INF Hunter Teplanszky reached base safely for a team-best 19th game in a row and extended his hitting streak to seven games.
• Junior INF/OF Cole Posey extended his team-leading hitting streak to 15 games with his 10th multi-hit game of the year.
• Freshman OF Caleb Bergman extended his on-base streak to 10 games.
• Junior RHP Grant Golomb worked his sixth scoreless outing of the season.

STAT OF THE GAME
15 – Junior INF/OF Cole Posey extended his hitting streak to 15 games.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Mitch Thompson
On tonight’s ballgame…
“Disappointing ballgame all around. We’re not going to win a game when you only get four hits. We’re not going to get many wins when we walk them 14 times. It’s just not going to happen. To even be in the ballgame says something and it gives us a little bit of hope that we were only one hitter away from getting the tying run to the plate in the ninth inning. I give Oklahoma’s starting pitcher credit, their bullpen came in and outperformed us. ‘He who has the bullpen wins’ is an old saying that I feel is really true and their bullpen performed better than ours did today and they won the ballgame.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (11-20, 3-8) and Oklahoma (17-15, 3-5) are set to square off in a rubber match on Saturday, April 8, at Baylor Ballpark in Waco. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)